Medium light really better than high light?

easternlethal

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Dec 26, 2014
Hong Kong
For the tank maestros out there who can produce competition level tanks, would you say it is possible to achieve the same results with medium light, i.e. 30-50 par (substrate)? Assuming flow, co2, ferts are good and it's a planted tank with diverse fauna (high light and low light plants, carpets, red plants etc.).

My lfs has some amazing Tom Barr level looking tanks at what seems to be medium/low light but I don't know what they do to them really..

vision

Junior Poster
Mar 14, 2016
first and foremost I am no "tank maestro" haha.

however, someone once mentioned to me that the ADA solar lights actually classify as a "medium" light...

Pikez

Rotala Killer!
May 12, 2013
Close (but not too close) to LA
+1 on the me-no-maestro part.

But, heck yeah, you can have a super stable, competition ready tank at 30-50 PAR. Many of Takashi Amano's best tanks were in this range. Tom's most famous tanks are high light, but he has some low-light tanks too. George Farmer has show tanks even lower than 30.

Julia Adkins

aquariumfertilizer.com
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2015
Napa, California
www.aquariumfertilizer.com
Light is the engine that drives the growth speed. If you want your plants to grow fast then give them high light and more fertilizers. Just keep in mind that this means more trimming and care taking. Also plants become tired when growing at a higher rate. They cannot keep going at high speed constantly anymore than we can. Moderation in all things. Medium light, moderate amount of food and medium growth that is healthily sustainable for all.

Reactions: Nikolyator