This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Medium light really better than high light?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by easternlethal, Feb 17, 2016.

1. easternlethal

easternlethal Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    9:48 PM
    For the tank maestros out there who can produce competition level tanks, would you say it is possible to achieve the same results with medium light, i.e. 30-50 par (substrate)? Assuming flow, co2, ferts are good and it's a planted tank with diverse fauna (high light and low light plants, carpets, red plants etc.).

My lfs has some amazing Tom Barr level looking tanks at what seems to be medium/low light but I don't know what they do to them really..

2. vision

vision Junior Poster

Local Time:
    first and foremost I am no "tank maestro" haha.

however, someone once mentioned to me that the ADA solar lights actually classify as a "medium" light...

3. Pikez

Pikez Rotala Killer!
    Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    +1 on the me-no-maestro part.

But, heck yeah, you can have a super stable, competition ready tank at 30-50 PAR. Many of Takashi Amano's best tanks were in this range. Tom's most famous tanks are high light, but he has some low-light tanks too. George Farmer has show tanks even lower than 30.

4. Julia Adkins

Julia Adkins aquariumfertilizer.com
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Light is the engine that drives the growth speed. If you want your plants to grow fast then give them high light and more fertilizers. Just keep in mind that this means more trimming and care taking. Also plants become tired when growing at a higher rate. They cannot keep going at high speed constantly anymore than we can. Moderation in all things. Medium light, moderate amount of food and medium growth that is healthily sustainable for all.

Nikolyator likes this.