Medium-high light and excel.......

mooch28

Junior Poster
Jun 21, 2009
Hey guys,

Ok so i adopted a 20 gallon tank and decided to venture into a planted aquascape. First off, here is what i have:

20 gallon aquarium
Eclipse 3 hood (got it for free)
Current USA retrofit light with a single 55 watt CF at 6700K running 7 hours per day. removed stock lighting in eclipse 3 hood.
2 inches of flourite

As most of you know, the eclipse 3 hood has a large amount of surface agitation, and thus limits me from adding injected C02. I have no choice but to work around it right now. Will upgrade down the road when i have more money.

Anyhow, if you do the math i have 2.75 watts per gallon of lighting.

My question is, can i get healty growth (not really fast growth) with my lighting and excel. I am dosing double the daily reccomended amount of excel and the reccomended amount after 50% weekly water changes. I also plan to adopt the EI method of dosing for micro and macro nutrients.

So basically, will my plants be able to outcompete the algae with that much lighting and excel with no C02 injection. Also would i benefit from EI dosing giving my circumstances?

Appreciate the help.

PS: Please don't reccomend getting new equipment and getting C92 injection. I can't afford it right now and have to work with what i have.

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Hi,

I would NOT recommend doubling the Excel dosage. Stick with the mfg instructions..........why are you doubling the amount?

I would dose a smaller amount of EI.

PS: Please don't reccomend getting new equipment and getting C92 injection. I can't afford it right now and have to work with what i have.

Ok, I won't but I will just point out that you can get a c02 pressurized setup for < $100 if you buy used/e-bay, etc.

Excel is pretty expensive and before you know it will have paid for the c02 setup.

Hope this helps.

mooch28

Junior Poster
Jun 21, 2009
I was under the impression doubling the excel dosage would benefit the plants with more organic C02. Atleast that is what i have read online from other people who have done so.

Fair enough with the used C02 system, but i still have a problem with too much surface agitation with the eclipse 3 hood.

Ps: I get the excel at cost through a friend so it is really cost effective for me.

cnicula

Junior Poster
Feb 17, 2009
I had 2 watts/gal on my 72gal for a few months just using Excel and EI and didn't like the results. I had to clean a good amount of algae every week, only the Wisteria grew, and forget about trying to grow any type of carpeting plants. While I know my experience isn't conclusive of excel/EI non-co2 tanks, I do know I have switched to CO2 injection 2 weeks ago and my tank is blossoming! I wished I would have used it from the start.

Some other advice - I sold my HOB filter (surface agitation) on ebay and it paid for a decent part of my Eheim classic canister filter.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
I'd not add more than 5mls per 10 Gallons per day.
There's a label on it for a reason.

Just like CO2 gas, you add more than the suggested amounts, you start to risk more toxicity to fish and shrimp.

It's not something to just toss in 2x for more growth.
Same respect should be given to CO2 gas as well.

Lower light till you can around to adding CO2 gas.
Also, hunt on line for used stuff, often since you do not have the $, you have the time.....you can nab some pretty sweet deals.

I will tell you this and not one person will argue with this point that has gas tank CO2: gas tank CO2 is worth every penny.

Regards,
Tom Barr

mooch28

Junior Poster
Jun 21, 2009
Thanks for the response guys.

Any idea if i could keep the the eclipse hood and still get adequate C02 with a pressurized system? Perhaps just increase the buble count?

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Yep, just increase the c02 rate SLOWLY over time to make up for it...........

A good surface agitation is not a bad thing with c02.

Always adjust slowly and watch for 1-2 days at each adjustment to ensure all is well.

Plants also take some time to adjust to increased c02 levels, so it is not just for the fish......

Hope this helps.

BTW, Tom posted info on used c02 stuff in this thread:

http://www.barrreport.com/co2-aquatic-plant-fertilization/5897-how-much-co2-2.html#post38048

rodrigaj

Junior Poster
Aug 16, 2008
Tom Barr;38062 said:
I'd not add more than 5mls per 10 Gallons per day.
There's a label on it for a reason.

Just like CO2 gas, you add more than the suggested amounts, you start to risk more toxicity to fish and shrimp.

It's not something to just toss in 2x for more growth.
Same respect should be given to CO2 gas as well.

Lower light till you can around to adding CO2 gas.
Also, hunt on line for used stuff, often since you do not have the $, you have the time.....you can nab some pretty sweet deals.

I will tell you this and not one person will argue with this point that has gas tank CO2: gas tank CO2 is worth every penny.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Tom, this is way too much. The label call for this amount only on initial use or after a large water change.

FWIW, I have never had great plant growth using just Excel. Now, CO2 by itself or better yet with Excel, has never disappointed.