This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Mazzei?

Discussion in 'CO2 Enrichment' started by samh, Jan 14, 2011.

1. samh

samh Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    11:34 AM
    Hi,

Was looking into the mazzei injectors and was wondering what the general consensus is on this method? Would someone also explain this system to me and whether it's applicable to a 125g tank, and what materials are required?

Cheers
    Sam

2. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Hi Sam,

Try the search on the forum.

Plenty of info detailing all you want can be found fairly easily.

Sorry, but this topic has been much discussed, just not lately, with the focus on needle wheel and other forms of c02 injection.

Yes, is applicable to larger tanks. You need a mazzei and a pump strong enough to run it.

Quite a few of us here have used one (myself included) so there is experience on this forum. Plus, Tom introduced us to this method....

Try doing some general research and come back with specific questions.

May want to try the mazzei site:

http://www.mazzei.net/?q=injectors

#2 Gerryd, Jan 14, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2011
  3. samh

samh Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    Thanks mate, so it seems though that now the best way is needle wheel, which is what i'm using though i don't get a mist ... more like super small bubbles which you can only see when it reflects the light. I used the chopped impellor method, i started with 5 blades and cut them by 3... 15 in total. it's not bad but not like some of the vids i've seen on youtbe of a real mist.

so i was gonna suss out the mazzei way.
    Sam

4. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Hi samh,

Not saying that needle wheel is the BEST option. Just is more popular NOW and needs LOTS LESS setup and decision making :)

For really large apps, it is a nice option. However, Tom, I, and many others have a 180 and use either reactors or needle wheel to supply c02, with no issues or growth/algae issues.

The mazzei (IME) provides the 'nicest' mist but needs more plumbing, pump pressure, c02, etc. They work fine, but do need attention. Is very easy to gas fish this way.

A needle wheel by comparison is easy to setup and also provides additional flow. That being said, the needle wheel works really well for me.

5. samh

samh Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    Hi Gerry,
    Yeah i might stick with needle wheel like you said it is easier with setting up and maintenance.
    I'm still trying to perfect my mist, i've just chopped blades in 3 but i haven't furred them. I can't view some of the pictures of what tom used to furr them for some reason. It's hard to find the rio pumps in Australia, i've found a hailea pump that you can get a needle wheel impellor replacement but that 1750l/hr(460g/hr) is that too much. What size pump(flow per hour) would you recommend for a 125 g (48"x24"x28").

Cheers
    Sam

6. inkslinger

inkslinger Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    What type or size Reactor will work for a 180g tank?
    Would you keep the line at 1" or 16/22" on a system that big?

7. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Ink.

I would use TWO reactors on a 180. I know dutchy does. I could not get an AM1000 to satisfy my 180 and thus used a mazzei and now a needle wheel....

I would always keep at 1" unless there is a need to change. 1" is a nice standard size.

8. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Hi samh,

Sorry for the delay..

A 800-1000 gph sound about right. Maybe a bit on the high side but better safe than sorry....

I know folks have used steel wool and fishing line to furr the blades up a bit....

9. samh

samh Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    Your alright mate.

You think 800-1000gph total for the tank? I'm more worried about bending and blowing over my stem plants too much at the moments i think i have 4,600 l/hr max most likely less but it's made up of over 5 sources. The strongest is 1600l/hr- 422g/hr. I did downgrade from what it was originally.

Sam

10. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Well for a 48" than perhaps 400-500 is enough. I was thinking that higher gph would result in better chopping/mixing??? with a bigger impeller is easier to diy?

Remember that I am just talking about the GPH of the NEEDLE WHEEL PUMP. Not total for the tank.

I do not advocate pinning the fish and plants to the substrate with flow :)

That being said, you will be amazed how quickly good flow will disappear in a tank due to scaping, dimensions, other currents, etc.

For TOTAL tank flow I still go with 10x volume as a nice starting value but depends on each setup. Remember that 125 gallons of water is more than you think it is.. It takes some effort to move that much. Plus filters will clog and reduce flow, so will increased bio-mass, rescaping, etc.

Hope this helps.

#10 Gerryd, Jan 25, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2011