This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

matching tank to light?

Discussion in 'Are you new to aquatic plants? Start here' started by pyrate, Feb 25, 2009.

1. pyrate

pyrate Junior Poster

Local Time:
    11:26 PM
    I hope set up a small non CO2 tank for some small swords (Echinodorus quadricostus, E.parviflorus etc.) with some Bacopa austrlis to help fill in until the swords get going. I have a AH Supply 13w kit that I would like to use. With these plants, and this light, would a 5.5g or a 10g be a better choice? Or should I get out the glass cutter and silicone and make a 7.428571...:rolleyes:

Thanks for the help
    Greg

2. VaughnH

VaughnH Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    AH Supply used to recommend that light for a 10 gallon tank, so it should give you a bit more light than you should have for a non-CO2 tank, but it will probably work ok. As I recall the bulb for that light is much shorter than the 10 gallon tank is long, so to get better light distribution over the substrate, raising the light a couple of inches would be a good idea. That would also reduce the light intensity so it would work better with no CO2.

3. pyrate

pyrate Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Wow 13watts will grow swords in a 10 gallon? COOL!:D
    I was worried that a 5.5 was a bit tight for a small school of tetras. They should have no problems in a 10:cool:

Thanks
    Greg