mat type and placement for under tank padding

shoggoth43

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2009
I've not really seen much on this. I know a lot of people put a pad/mat under their larger tanks.

I've seen anything from white styrofoam to the "pink stuff" and yoga mats or other.

What are people using for this? My stand is pretty much done, and in theory it's flat but I expect some element of settling and don't want to end up with any cracks in the tank because something shifted just a bit.

-
S

nipat

Guru Class Expert
May 23, 2009
Aerogel. :p

Just kidding, white foam, but a black mat would be nicer. :)

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
DIY Aerogel

Hi,

You could diy the aerogel http://adzoe.8m.com/Aerogelsa.htm.

I use the hard construction insulating foam, it is pink :eek: and what passes for my brain can not recall the name of the stuff. :gw :eek: I got the stuff at Home Depot. Many years ago I used a lighter version used for insulating in walls. I felt fortunate the the tank remained level.

I really do not know if it does any good or not and I have had leveling problems.

Biollante

shoggoth43

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2009
Level would be good. I'll settle for no unsupported areas and skip the whole run around and mop up water because the tank cracked bit. :)

-
S

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
Mat Stuff

Hi S,

I have seen a couple of big tanks installed, though I did not think to ask, it appeared they used heavy pond liner or perhaps it was like the mat placed on concrete floors for people to stand on, love it when what passes for my brain ceases functioning. :eek:

Does the manufacturer give any recommendations?

Biollante

jonny_ftm

Guru Class Expert
Mar 5, 2009
Strange, here in Europe, all aquariums are sold with these foams, you can find in all standard aquarium shapes at any aquarium shop

I never thought I'll fill an aquarium without them as it is said you risk having cracks in your glass after weeks, months or years, depending on the surface you put on them the tank

shoggoth43

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2009
It's also strange that over here you never find them and most of the time they're just ignored. However, given the size of this beast and the manufacturing tolerances of the stand for it ( home built ), I need something to absorb the slack.

-
S

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
May Not Be Needed

Hi S,

My guess and it is only a guess is that the modern tanks are built well enough that it is not the issue it once was.

It has been a very long time since I have heard of a failure of a tank under 5 or 7 years old and even those have not been catastrophic.

I suspect if it were an issue and given warranties and tort law, manufacturers would include the pads or at the least require there use as a condition of warranty protection.

Having said all of that I still like the idea of something with a bit of “give” under a large or even not so large tank. :cool:

Biollante