This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Maracyn for GDA?

Discussion in 'Articles' started by VaughnH, Apr 9, 2008.

1. VaughnH

VaughnH Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    4:54 AM
    From "the Krib":
    Maracyn and Algae

On APC is a thread about trying this to kill GDA, with what appears to be success. I don't understand how an antibiotic would be effective against an algae, but if it works, I won't complain. Has anyone else tried this, and with what results?

2. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    I do not think an antibiotic will work on things other than bacteria, and in this case, gram positives only.

Correlation or so called "cures" due to chance and when they have other species of algae as well, then the all the algae disappear is hardly a cure.

They just figured out they needed to take care of the plants.

I've never had much issue with GDA, but then again, I know how to care for the plants, thus the algae are far less of an issue for me.

Still, folks seek the silver bullet.

I think the APD poster has had algae issues for years.
    Nice person.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

3. JDowns

JDowns Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Can I pose a question or two. I find it hard to tell the difference between GSA and GDA. So lets suppose its GSA and not GDA. How much phosphate is in erythromycin phosphate (Maracyn), and could the dosage of medication be adding enough phosphate to help combat GSA? Since CO2 and PO4 seem to be the leading candidates?

Or am I just way off base in this thinking?

4. VaughnH

VaughnH Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    GDA and GSA are totally different, other than both being green. GDA is easily wiped off the glass, and if done under water, it releases a cloud of green "dust", all ready to recolonize the glass as soon as you turn your back. GSA is hard, can't be wiped off, has to be scraped off, with considerable effort, sometimes taking a sharp steel blade to get it off. GDA is a free swimming algae, in its early stages - GSA isn't.

The only way I can see an antibiotic affecting GDA is if the free swimming stage is somewhat like cyanobacteria, not quite an algae and not quite a bacteria. I am planning to try the maracyn today. I have a 10 gallon experimental tank going, with emersed grown glosso and some rotala in it, where after about 4 days of flooding the GDA showed up. It won't be expensive to treat such a small tank with maracyn, and I'm curious to see what will happen. (I realize I can get rid of the GDA by other means, but I like trying new things.)