Mangrove seagrass bed project

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
I've been thinking about a multiple component system. I have less confidence in mixing macro and SPS corals, and or seagrasses, than mixing a nice mangrove colony with seagrass beds.

Seagrass beds are common around the mangroves where I've dived.

Both are strong plant driven communities which goes along with my general theme, with deeper sediments etc. Tidal flux is about 12" 1-2x a day.

Reefs can vary a bit more and can have higher current, deeper upwelling, temp issues, KH/Ca++ etc. Nothing insurmountable, but not as married together as seagrass+ mangroves. There are many species of macro algae that can also grow in conjunction with the these two groups as well.

This guy wanted corals, but if you replace those with Seagrasses, and use some natural light:

mangroveproject.jpg

Regards,
Tom Barr

C

CL_

Awesome project! This is something that I wanted to do last summer. Please do keep us updated :D

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
This is something I'd add to a green house. I am a ways away from adding/having one of those. But I will at some point.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Nope, not till I buy a home or somewhere I plan on staying for a bit.

One of many:)

mulm

Junior Poster
Jun 3, 2010
Understood. Too bad tho. Would love to see your take.

(Psst..... It's a buyer's market. )

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
I have another tank so I'll be taking new pics sometime this week.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
fb1e5aba.jpg

c8ccb19e.jpg

HD is very small, maybe 1" long leaves, but I already have new leaves forming after 1 week of water column dosing, there is no enriched sediment in the main tank, I still need to get to doing the refugium, but that might have to wait a bit.
I might back off the PO4 for now till the growth speeds up, I'm getting a little bit of diatom growth on the sand and rocks. I'm glad the plants are appearing to take off, but we will see how growth proceeds from here. Given what I have read, culture should not be an issue, it is highly prolific.

If so, then this will be a nice lawn of grass in 2 months or so.

Trail_Mix

Junior Poster
Feb 11, 2013
I realize the age of this thread, and the photos are understandably inaccessible, however, it's a fascinating idea Imo and having seen the innovative methods marine aquarists have used to incorporate mangrove... groves into their systems which often include multiple tanks really makes the imagination wander, leaving no wonder as to why the appeal of mangroves have spread over the last decade amongst salt water hobbyists, in spite of the fact that they may be out performed by certain macro algae when it comes purely to their water purification abilities. One tank in particular I remember had a main display tank, a long chaeto "channel", a bucket of mangroves, as well as a gorgeous zoa tank of 45g if my memory serves correctly.

I am curious if you have made any progress either on this project, or with building a greenhouse? Also I am curious how many marine or brackish tanks you keep in relation to freshwater, as well as whether or not any of these tanks are paludariums/ripariums/vivariums and whether or not you also grow emersed plants.

What type of mangrove are most effective for water purification, how does the salinity of the water affect this answer, and how do mangroves compare to other plants such as the leather fern or Pandanus which grow in similar conditions, (I know these all survive in brackish water, I'm assuming that the leather fern may not grow well in full salinity, however I'm sure there are plenty Pandanus species which will thrive in average marine salinity, no?), as far as their ability to purify water, their growth rates, and ultimate suitability for use in a large system. Does anyone know of or have any other plants that grow in marine or brackish conditions not commonly found in the aquarium hobby that might do well in a large system or greenhouse?