This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Malaysian Live Bearing Snails

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by AquaticJim, Sep 16, 2007.

1. AquaticJim

AquaticJim Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    9:01 AM
    Are Malaysian Live Bearing Snails a good or bad introduction to a planted tank?

2. Melo

Melo Junior Poster

Local Time:
    I think they are good ones because they loose the gravel like the earthworms in the garden soil, in my aquarium I have soil sustrate mainly oak leaves when it was maturing, on th e beggining the Malayan snails release the gas bubbles aereating and avoiding the rot of the soil.

They are also a good indicators when the things go wrong, if something bad happens they climb the glass inmediatly , a quick alarm system,

Melo

PS: Excuse my grammar I'm learning to speak English...

3. Crazymidwesterner

Crazymidwesterner Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    I have them and they serve there purpose for churning the substrate. They are also good indicators of water quality because they often head to the top of the aquarium when water quality is poor.

They reproduce like crazy but I just suck some out with a siphon when I clean the tank if they get out of hand.

4. gotcheaprice

gotcheaprice Junior Poster

Local Time:
    I personally don't like them cause they seem to cover a lot of the tank at night and I also heard that they produce a lot of waste in the substrate.
    I think a lot of people like them though for chruning substrate and getting rid of some algae.