Making an ADA style light fixture for Cheap

Tom Barr

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
The bending of poles is really really easy.
I had no experience, now I do.

I'll happily bend them for you, I have some sitting here.
But I am not going to ship a 6+ ft pole that is worth 2$.
You can have them for free if you live near Sac, CA.

Just hunt down an electrian and ask them to bend them, should only take them 2 minutes or so.

Tom Barr


Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2006
Question about fishneedit's MH pendants on eBay...

If I read correctly, some here have gotten the MH pendants from fishneedit on eBay. I currently see a single, double-ended 250W setup for sale. Since I have never had an MH light before, how can one tell what kind of coverage this light would have, as far as length and width of light spread to cover a tank? (Obviously, the higher the light is hoisted, the more area covered and less light available to plants.)

But as a "rule of thumb", would this cover a 60 cube (24x24x24)? A 90 (48x18x24)? I just need an idea to go by. I do not want a very high light tank, as I understand MH's are capable of. Actually, I'm still just confused about how to properly use MH's and pendants!



Junior Poster
Sep 7, 2007
confused on plumbing

Tom Barr;23002 said:
It's not an overflow, it's a sealed closed canister filter loop, no sump in other words.

So the water is taken in down on the bottom, cycled through the Canister, then sent to heat and CO2, then back to the bottom.

I use heavy duty Sch 80 Bulk heads with seals on both sides and E6000 glue as well for long term seals. A good wipe with silicone lubricant for rubber gasket seals helps as well.

Tom Barr

I know this is off the main topic, for which I apologize, but how is the water taken in on the bottom? Maybe a dumb question, but I just can't picture it. :eek: Does the pipe come up through the substrate, and do you cover it with a prefilter or something to prevent fish getting sucked in? Do you have a hole in each of the rear corners of the tank, one for inflow and one for out?
I'm also trying to figure out how you add in plumbing for a water change system to this. Sorry, I know that's a lot of questions. Thanks in advance! :)


Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005
Sacramento, CA
On the water change question: All it takes for a water change is a pipe leading from the tank that can be routed to a drain, and a pipe leading to the tank that can be routed from a source of tap water. With the closed loop system you have the pipes in the tank, so all you need is valves and some additional exterior plumbing to do the water change. See for how I am going to set up such a system. I have the plumbing manifold made, and I am now just waiting for a good time to make a mess by installing it under the tank. When I finish I will post a photo of the setup.