This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Unfortunately for Photobucket users, things have changed in a big way as of June 26th they are rolling out a $399 per year subscription fee for those who want to hotlink images from Photobucket’s servers to display elsewhere.
    This does not mean it only affects this site, It now means that billions of images across the Web now display an error message instead of the image in question. :(
    https://barrreport.com/threads/attention-photobucket-users.14377/
    Dismiss Notice

Mail Order Plants

Discussion in 'Off Topic and Chat' started by jonathan11, Sep 21, 2005.

1. jonathan11

jonathan11 Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Guys, help me out. Oops, ladies too. Looking for a mail order firm, especially in the SE (GA.) that is economical and reliable for plants (especially) and fish. Any recommendations would be appreciated, but shipping costs are generally better the closer to you they are. Thx in advance. :gw :D :D

2. Cornhusker

Cornhusker Guru Class Expert

Re: Mail Order Plants

:) Aquatic Plant Depot.com Are Good People.resonalble Priced. Regards,cornhusker :) :)

3. matpat

matpat Prolific Poster

I can't be of much help since I generally get my stuff from other hobbyists. I don't want to sound negative either, but hobbyist plants are usually bigger and more healthy than anything I have ordered from a retailer. You usually get some "extras" from hobbyists also ;)

Hobbyists usually only charge a USPS Priority Mail fee ($3-$5 for 2-3 day delivery) for the plants versus the $12.95+ that retailers require you to pay. The plants will do fine with 3 days of shipping.

Try out Aquabid or any of the plant forums and see what folks are selling. You can also post a want to buy request in most forums. Some folks will even give plants away for the cost of shipping. That is always a good deal!

4. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator Social Group Admin

I have enough micro tennellus to start a 4 ft sq area, maybe 200-300plants, maybe more.

Also:

4 Hygro kompacta
    Some moss/Riccia
    A few stems (5 or so) of L aromatica
    Maybe 20 Blyxa japonica
    2 huge healthy Cyperus helfendi
    2 good sized bunches of D diadra

Make offer
    All packed and ready to go.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

5. Cornhusker

Cornhusker Guru Class Expert

:) MATPAT,i could not agree with you more. when i started in planted tanks four years ago i ordered plants from TRUE AQUARIUM PLANTS.COM. this lady was the greatest and her plants were beautiful. unfortionitly due to storm damage in sparks,nevada she closed her business.since then i've found NO real good place to order plants,allways disapointed.where i live people look at you funny when you say my hobby is PLANTED tanks.they think your porch light ain't on.no aquarium clubs in good ol nebraska.when you mention that you use co2 to make plants grow better,they say what the h..l is that. i've had to collect a lot of books and get red eyes hitting all the websites for information. so far THE BARR REPORT seems to be very informative on this hobby and the input of all subcribers is very helpful.you can put a feather in your bonnet for that. :) :) regards,cornhusker p.s TOM B, thats why i've bugged you so much!

6. CrownMan

CrownMan Junior Poster

I recently ordered quite a few different Crypts from AquariumGarden.com and am very pleased with the order and service. Plants arrived next day after shipping and in excellent health. No pests so far.

I also have ordered from AquaBotanic in the past with excellent results. In fact, I am waiting for an order from them now. Hasn't shipped yet though.

Unfortunately, most shops that carry plants in the Fort Worth area are unhealthy or are very expensive.

Mike

7. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator Social Group Admin

Well you are the reason I set up a site, that way ya all bug eachother some before getting me:) :gw

Regards,
    Tom Barr