This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Magnesium Sulphate instead of Seachem Equilibrium

Discussion in 'Marine Plants - Macroalgae' started by camilocastroalvarado, Dec 8, 2011.

1. camilocastroalvarado

Local Time:
    5:33 AM
    Hi,
    I'm trying apply EI. Checking my Gh and KH levels in order to achieve EI targets, tests showed me readings about 9°GH and 4°KH. I was adding MgSO4 and CaCl2. In order to modify the magnesium and calcium dose and reach the 5°GH recomended by Tom Barr, i need to know how much MgSo4 and CaCl2 should be added. I live in Colombia, so Seachem Equilibrium isn't easy to find. Tap water in my city is very soft. My aquarium volume is 55 US Gal.

I'm having trouble with algae, too much light maybe? (4x54wT5HO 8 hours/day) (Co2 is about 35 ppm). What do you think about turning on 3 54wT5 9 hours/day, and 3 more for 3 hours?

Regards, sorry about my english.

2. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    I'd just add a little MgSO4 to the trace mix.

There's little reason to add Ca with a GH of 9.
    I would work on adding a little bit more CO2 slowly.......and carefully.
    And if that does not do it, then lower the light also, maybe 8 hours 2 bulbs only.

4x 54W on a 55 gallon aquarium is way too much for many people

Most use 2.

3. csmith

csmith Guest

Local Time:
    11:33 PM
    Late I know, but that's definately too much light, especially if they're directly over your aquarium. I only have a two bulb fixture over my 55 gallon, and I was still dealing with some algae before I left. That's with the fixture 20" above the top of the tank.

4. camilocastroalvarado

Local Time:
    Thanks for replying. I'm following your suggestions, so i did a 50% water change and reduced the light to 2 54wHO bubls turned on for 8 hours. During the day, 2 more bulbs turns on for 2 hours, so the photoperiod is: 108 watts/3 hours, 216 watts/2 hours, 108 watts/3 hours. EI weekly dossing targets are 30ppm No3, 30ppm K, 3ppm Po4, 0.5ppm Fe. The algae growth seems to be stopped and plants are healing their deficiencies; beore i started EI, fast growing plants got pale and almost white new leaves. I got a question, can Magnesium and calcium relationship lead to a green dust algae?
    Regards