This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Magnesium Deficiency Issues, need guidance

Discussion in 'Aquatic Plant Fertilization' started by wmposs, Jul 20, 2012.

1. wmposs

wmposs Junior Poster

Local Time:
    1:19 AM
    Ever since moving to my new apartment I have had trouble with a majority of my plants sustaining good growth. I have swords, frogbit, crypts, and a couple other I am unsure of. Older leafs are yellowing off and sometimes developing pinholes (rarely) but the veins seem to remain green and eventually die off. I have tried several solutions, including upping my lighting to 3wpg (now sitting at 2wpg until I figure out the problem), dosing excel (thinking it a co2 issue), and gone EI dosing - NPK w/ Flourish. The excel does not seem to change much, and I noticed some of my red cyrpts have turned green causing me to think it an iron deficiency. After doing lots of research it seems to be more magnesium because it seems that low magnesium inhibits iron uptake.

My local water report is somewhat shocking in that I have hard water but my Calcium is 125 ppm while Magnesium is 14 ppm. I have been reading that a 4:1 Ca:Mg ratio is considered most acceptable while mine is floating near 9:1. I want to up my Mg level but not sure at what rate to dose epsom salts, have not seen a good conversion and am not great at doing the math (but working on it). I also do not want to overdo the Mg levels in the tank, throwing things out of wack. I am also going to start DIY CO2 to see if that increases my plant growth but I do not think that is the underlying issue.

I have a 40 Gallon that is over 4 years established, the water source at my previous place was perfect for this same setup and my plants grew like crazy, I was thinning out weekly with little fertilization. I am frustrated of continual disappointment and want to get this baby back to health! Any info would be appreciated, especially considering the MgSO4 from the epsom salt.

I just also want to thank this forum it has been a wealth of knowledge, hopefully I can actually know what I am doing one day :cool:

#1 wmposs, Jul 20, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2012
  2. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Hi,

Can you please provide a bit more detail on your lighting fixtures, tubes, etc? Do you use c02 or dose excel now? What kind of filtration or extra flow do you use?

The more details you provide, the better advice you will receive.

Welcome.

3. Chunks

Chunks Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    You should check out Petalphiles online fert calculator. I used it yesterday to calculate MgSO4 for my tank.

http://calc.petalphile.com/

4. wmposs

wmposs Junior Poster

Local Time:
    I have a quad T5HO light fixture but currently only use 2 of the 39W bulbs that are 6700K spectrum, on 7 hours a day. I have 2 other bulbs rated 1000K and 6700K but am not currently running those until I get this squared way. Filter do not know the brand but it is rated for a 60 gallon and I seem to get a pretty strong flow that some fish swim against happily. I often will turn on the air stone for 30 mins - 1 hour each day. All levels have been good, I never seem to have a big nitrate spike but do 50% WC weekly with the EI method. No algae outbreaks. I use excel pretty much daily right now but just made my DIY set up and plan on implementing sometime in the next week. Temperature is around 78-80F. Not overly stocked bioload wise.

With EI I am currently doing
    Sunday: 50% WC, then Micros/Dry Ferts - 1/8 tsp KNO3 (N), 1/16 tsp KH2PO4 (P), 1/16 K2SO4 (K)
    Monday: Macros - Flourish
    Tue: Micros
    Wed: Flourish
    Thur: Micros
    Fri: Flourish
    Sat: Rest
    Sat:

#4 wmposs, Jul 20, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2012
  5. wmposs

wmposs Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Solid calculator thank you, but do I need to lower my calcium before adding Mg? It gave me a massive value to reach the right ratio I am looking for in the 4:1 and that seems like a potential hazard. I know with the lowering of Ca I would be risking lowering pH and the hardness/buffer?

6. Chunks

Chunks Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    Adding calcium and Magnesium will only affect your GH which will not change your PH.

KH has a more direct relationship to the PH value and not overly critical
    In planted tanks.