Madagascar Lace Leaf Plant

jonathan11

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005
Wondering if someone could give me more info about this plant's dormant period? Do the leaves fall off when it's in the tank prior to dormancy? How do you store it when it is in dormancy? How long does it last? Normal life before dormancy in the tank? Thx in advance, :gw :D :D

srozell

Guru Class Expert
Jan 24, 2005
Re: Madagascar Lace Leaf Plant

I just picked up four bulbs of this plant myself a few weeks ago. I was reading that several people have had success with this plant with no apparent dormant period at all, while still others couldn't get the bulbs out of the dormant period and the bulbs themselves just turned mushy.

From what I learned, I believe that if you do your best to treat them like any other plant you'll likely get good luck, but some bulbs are just plain bad so don't blame yourself if you fail miserably with them.

I wish I could quote the references, but there were many I looked at and I have no short term memory. In fact, if I reply to this post again I wouldn't get too shocked.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005

If the temps are kept cooler, there is no domancy. Say 72-75F it will keep growing indefinitely under decent conditions.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Reactions: sarpijk

VaughnH

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005
Sacramento, CA

Isn't this one of those gigantic plants - looks great when small, but just keeps on growing, and growing, and growing........

jonathan11

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005

Thx for the replies. Just love the appearence of this plant, although it can get big. Haven't had any problems raising it from a bulb, if the bulb was not fungused upon receipt. Transplanting it, the one time I did, was not too successful. Leaves turned brown, as in dead, and plant appeared to be dead, although the bulb was not soft or mushy. I was just curious if this was the manner in which it turned dormant.
:gw :D :D Walter

colonel

Guru Class Expert
Nov 25, 2005

I have one growing in my tank, Temps are a bit higher around 78. and coditions have been every changing as I have been trying to get things all in line and balanced for quite some time now. Any how when I recieved the plant it had only 1 or 2 very small leaves but a very large golf ball sized bulb that was very healthy. Once placed in the tank it really took off and in a few short weeks I had about 20 or so VERY large leaves that took over my 75. We are talking almost 3 feet total length.... so as VaughnH was saying... yes this is def. one of those that can get out of hand.... but how could you not love it anyway? they are georgous.
Any how with the higher temps, and the not so ideal conditions it has been living in it has gone dormit on me... basically it will just stop growing and the leaves you do have start to slowly wither away with time. If I have any luck bringing it back I will let you know. I Also have read about some who just leave the bulb untouched and have it come back with out moving it. And I have read of others who recomend pulling it out for a moist reast period in the dark at cooler temps for about 6 weeks before trying to get it to come back. I believe I am going to leave it for a while longer, see if I have any luck letting it do its thing. If not I will pull it and if the bulb hasnt gone bad on me try to store it bring it back after a cool rest period. Best of luck to you with yours :)
Matt

David Hui

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 16, 2005

Hi,

I just got a small aponogeton lace plant with three small leaves. The bulb had a soft spot and started to smell. I shaved off the soft spot. Needless to say, the white stuff in the the bulb was exposed.

I am resting the plant in the tank. Do you think the plant will survive or it will continue to rot?

Thanks

David

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005

VaughnH said:
Isn't this one of those gigantic plants - looks great when small, but just keeps on growing, and growing, and growing........

Yes.........

24-30" leaves 6" wide, lots of flowers, which do smell good.........same with A biovianus, another weed...........

Regards,
Tom Barr

dazzer1975

Prolific Poster
Apr 22, 2006
Rochdale, sadly
I have just emptied my sand substrate tank and went with aqua soil and increased my lighting too.

40 uk gallon tank, with sand substrate was fertilised and with c02 however, I let the tank lapse and stopped ferts, stopped co2 and cut the lights back, lace plant went dormant.

Having recently redone the scape, used A S as mentioned etc kicked the co2 back on and with water column ferts the plant has come back and is thriving.

Although, the bulb has pretty much rotted, I chucked it back in the tank anyway, and is doing well and looks like the crown could be split into 2 aswell.

Anyway, the point of that is, that in my experience, when this plant goes dormant, you can leave it in situ and upon change of environment it should just spark back into life.

Of course, there may be other scenarios but that is how it worked for me