This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Macroalgae nutrition

Discussion in 'Marine Plants - Macroalgae' started by lone23, Aug 17, 2011.

1. lone23

lone23 Junior Poster

Local Time:
    7:20 AM
    First post.(Woot!) Hi everybody :)

Anywho, I have a question/idea. I'm currently running a 10g macroalgae tank though the only algae currently in there is Caulerpa Sertularoides and I have some Botryocladia and Codium on the way. However I have been noticing some die-off on my caulerpa and water tests revealed that even with heavy feeding of frozen foods, I have zero nitrates and phosphates.

My question is this: Would using water from an established fw tank as top-off water satisfy the need for nutrients (at least as far as nitrates and phosphates)? Is there anything that could go wrong with this that I should be aware of?

2. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    Zero N and P.....most plants/algae would die............
    You'd be fine from the FW, but keep the PO4 at or under 0.4ppm in marine tanks.
    NO3 can be about 5-15ppm range without much issue

3. JByer323

JByer323 Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Tom, would you be dosing KNO3 and KH2PO4 then for a marine seagrass/macro tank? Anything else?

4. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    Same deal as FW(traces), Alk and Ca++ are very important more many macro algae also.

5. JByer323

JByer323 Junior Poster

Local Time:
    I've never actually had a FW planted tank, about the time I was ready to get one my father got the saltwater bug, and we set up a reef instead, but I want the best of both worlds. I've been reading your stuff for a couple of years, I'm just trying to figure it out as far as a marine tank is concerned.

I plan to run a kalk reactor.