Macro Solution Question (magnesium)

yusuf saraç

Dec 26, 2017
Turkey
I'm using a macro solution prepared / calculated with dry ferts ( kno3 as nitrate, Kh2pO4 as phosphate, k2s04 as potasium) My question is, Can just add MgSO4 as well to this mixture and dose magnesium as well ?

Stan510

Nov 28, 2019
Hayward ca.
Lets break it down to English;)..how much Mag salt per gallon? Roughly...or better,per 50 gallons? I noticed over the years that with large aquariums...the per gallon goes farther on less. Less,than what would be used in a 10 or 20 gallon.

Stan510

Nov 28, 2019
Hayward ca.
Ah jeez.again I forgot they invented google. One website by a college said one ounce of epsom salts per 1,000- 1,500 gallons would be enough for a aquaponic/hydroponic systems plants. That breaks down to two mere teaspoons for the 240 gallon tank. Seems very little...but also sounds very safe.
It's been done and we will see in a few days or week if anything has changed.

https://university.upstartfarmers.com/blog/effectively-balance-magnesium-in-aquaponics

Phishless

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
Jul 13, 2017
Arnold, MD
Lets break it down to English;)..how much Mag salt per gallon?
Roughly...or better,per 50 gallons? I noticed over the years that with large aquariums...the per gallon goes farther on less.

Ah jeez.again I forgot they invented google. One website by a college said one ounce of epsom salts per 1,000- 1,500 gallons would be enough for a aquaponic/hydroponic systems plants. That breaks down to two mere teaspoons for the 240 gallon tank. Seems very little...but also sounds very safe.
It's been done and we will see in a few days or week if anything has changed.

Your two teaspoons of MgSO4.7H2O (magnesium sulfate heptahydrate "the English part") will provide this in 240 gallons:
dGH 0.25544429
Mg 1.107143603 ppm
S 1.4606732 ppm
So 1ppm against how much Ca is in your water? This is a very low amount. What is the dGH of your tank?
Lots of people target a ratio of Ca:Mg, usually 4:1 or 3:1

If you test for Ca here is an equation to determine Mg.
((17.86 x dGH) - (2.5 x Ca ppm)) / 4.1 = Mg ppm

Sounds very safe? Is there a fear of something?

Stan510

Nov 28, 2019
Hayward ca.
Anything metallic sounding or tasting as epsom salts do, makes me worried never having used in aquariums. I have to get back to you on the stats tomorrow or you can look up Hayward Ca water system and tell me what you think of the mix? Iron,Ca, PH. I've look at it before...they even do it by summer and winter ratios. Thanks.
One more.What do you think of the college blog advice ?

Reactions: Phishless

Phishless

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
Jul 13, 2017
Arnold, MD
One more.What do you think of the college blog advice ?

I didn't even read it! :(
I have college kids @ work and they all have T-Rex syndrome! :D Big arse and short arms!!!
Don't trust them since they have experienced nothing! o_O

I am interested in the Hayward Ca stats though!

Stan510

Nov 28, 2019
Hayward ca.
Take a look..only you would know what to look for. So,are you saying that in my "teaspoon" way,to use 8 teaspoons not 2?..even 8 sounds ok. I expected originally it would be like a cup!...so a dosing newby am I. EVERYTHING ELSE about me is old

Reactions: Phishless