Macro Micro Nutrient Mix

bobby269

Junior Poster
Sep 1, 2005
With your help I have successfully had CO2 aquariums, natural aquariums. Now I want to try non CO2 with medium
light in a 65 gallon aquarium. I plan on using Planted Aquarium Fertilizer--Macro Micro Nutrient Mix-- and excel. I have used PMDD dry fertilizer for many years. Using this new mix do you have any suggestions on your version of the correct way to accomplish this. I have followed your suggestions in the past and used just dry ferts.
Is their a product to replace exel. If no, what amount do you suggest to dose. I don't need to use any phosphate my Aquarium alway's seems to have enough. My PH is 7.1 My KH is okay. But my GH is high. I do small water changes when the phosphate is high.
Thank you in advance for helping us all these years.;)

pat w

Nov 4, 2009
Daphne, AL (east Mobile Bay)
Not sure on the ferts you referenced but the replacement for Excel is glutaraldehyde in it's many forms. I use Metricide 14. It's sold as a low temperature medical sterilizer and has a 2.6% glut concentration as opposed to Excel's 1.5%. Wet's got a Conversion Calculator on his site.

You can purchase it Here or other places on the net including Amazon. DON"T use the little activator bottle and please be careful ... this stuff is nastier than household bleach especially to the eyes.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
The Excel method works pretty nicely.

PMDD dosing and soil etc........should be fine alone.

Feed fish good etc.

I use the 5mls to 10 gal range of dosing daily.