Macek's Planted Aquarium - 24l (6gal)

Macek

Feb 13, 2018
Praha, Czechia
My only aquarium is situated on the kitchen desk. It brings me a lot of enjoyment these days and I spend a lot of spare time by watching it and by taking care of it. My wife is not always happy about it :)

20180207_104635.jpg

Reactions: emimur24

Macek

Feb 13, 2018
Praha, Czechia
Now I am trying to get rid of green thread algae, which infested Eleocharis and Hemianthus callitrichoides 'Cuba'. I am trying some tips from Walstad and increasing CO2. (I dose PMDD) - I don´t want to use glutaraldehyde because It made no good to to my vals recently. Maybe later.

Allwissend

Super Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2016
www.intuitiveaqua.net
My only aquarium is situated on the kitchen desk. It brings me a lot of enjoyment these days and I spend a lot of spare time by watching it and by taking care of it. My wife is not always happy about it :)
:D think many of us can relate to what you are saying. You have a nice tank. well balanced, good plant selection, but I think you are right, need to focus on the CO2 and dosing. What light do you use ?

No need for glutaraldehyde with thread. Toothbrush for mechanical remove, CO2 and lower light to prevent resurgence.

Reactions: Macek

Macek

Feb 13, 2018
Praha, Czechia
:D think many of us can relate to what you are saying. You have a nice tank. well balanced, good plant selection, but I think you are right, need to focus on the CO2 and dosing.
Thank you for your comment. It is nice to find out real people are here, not just robots :) .

What light do you use ?
My light is not impressive :

"04395 LED lightening LFL-CL-450 12w (W) /0,5A" (google it please, I can´t send the link because error occurs)

No need for glutaraldehyde with thread. Toothbrush for mechanical remove, CO2 and lower light to prevent resurgence.
Actually I lowered the light at 50% until the day before tomorrow (I have dimmer) - I was waiting for duck weed and Ceratophyllum to cover the surface with aim to use their power against algae. I turned the light at highest level. I also plan to switch to EI but first I want to use my PMDD solution completely - I am not in a hurry and I want to see what will happen with the algae if I make all other measures.

Macek

Feb 13, 2018
Praha, Czechia
I have done weekly tank maintenance recently and bigger trimming. On that occasion I took a few photos.

Before:

20180223_203703.jpg

20180223_203723.jpg
20180223_203754.jpg

After:
20180224_224055.jpg
20180224_224126.jpg

You can see I have replanted some carpet plants.

I keep on fighting with green thread algae - it is mainly on the gravel which is not in the shade of plants and among carpet plants which annoys me a lot. See photos below.

20180224_231058.jpg
20180224_231104.jpg
20180224_231113.jpg
20180224_231119.jpg

I am not sure whether my LED light (12W, white - 9000K) is too strong or not. My dropchecker is almost always green and I dose PMDD daily (local brand - no nitrates, no phosphorus - all dissolved in water for ablout 4 months kept in the fridge). I change 50% water weekly. My light is on for 12 hours. CO2 is whole day and night on.
I see a problem might be in my filter - power head with little sponge inside the 6 gal tank - head is 90gal per hour, the sponge is dirty in about three days. Weak in removing ammonium, when plants are not able to do it for some reason?

My Staugorygne and Hemianthus Cuba grows very slowly if it even grows. I am not sure why - light? Nutrients?

20180224_224022.jpg

Allwissend

Super Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2016
www.intuitiveaqua.net
Hi Macek, the plants seem to be growing great. You are right, plants need nitrate and phosphate to grow and survive. You may want to consider adding that if you see problems in older leaves.
A drop checker that is almost always green means that you may have some room to increase the CO2 a little until it reaches yellow-green
12hours of light may be too much at this point.Most plants do good with as little as 6 hours.

The ramifications present in the algae in the photos shows that this is not a simple thread algae, maybe something more close to cladophora. In this case, you need to remove as much as possible by hand/toothbrush. Short-time spot dosing of H2O2 may also be a choice if all else fails.

Reactions: Macek

Macek

Feb 13, 2018
Praha, Czechia
Hello Allwisend,
thank you for your reply.

You are right, plants need nitrate and phosphate to grow and survive. You may want to consider adding that if you see problems in older leaves.

I think old leaves are not so bad. Val has been replanted short time ago, so some leaves are yellowish because of that I suppose. I will eventually purchase NO3 and P fertilizers and try it and get closer to EI principles.

12hours of light may be too much at this point.Most plants do good with as little as 6 hours.

I have reset my timer to 10am to 4pm.

In this case, you need to remove as much as possible by hand/toothbrush.

I do this toothbrush method, carpet plants unfortunately usually unroots.

The ramifications present in the algae in the photos shows that this is not a simple thread algae, maybe something more close to cladophora. In this case, you need to remove as much as possible by hand/toothbrush. Short-time spot dosing of H2O2 may also be a choice if all else fails.

H2O2 sounds dangerous for fish to me, but if I get desperate, I will use it.