This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Macek's Planted Aquarium - 24l (6gal)

Discussion in 'Journals' started by Macek, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Macek

Macek New Member

Local Time:
    9:25 AM
    My only aquarium is situated on the kitchen desk. It brings me a lot of enjoyment these days and I spend a lot of spare time by watching it and by taking care of it. My wife is not always happy about it :)

20180207_104635.jpg

emimur24 likes this.
  2. Macek

Macek New Member

Local Time:
    Now I am trying to get rid of green thread algae, which infested Eleocharis and Hemianthus callitrichoides 'Cuba'. I am trying some tips from Walstad and increasing CO2. (I dose PMDD) - I don´t want to use glutaraldehyde because It made no good to to my vals recently. Maybe later.

3. Allwissend

Allwissend Article Editor
    Staff Member Lifetime Member Article Editor

Local Time:
    :D think many of us can relate to what you are saying. You have a nice tank. well balanced, good plant selection, but I think you are right, need to focus on the CO2 and dosing. What light do you use ?

No need for glutaraldehyde with thread. Toothbrush for mechanical remove, CO2 and lower light to prevent resurgence.

Macek likes this.
  4. Macek

Macek New Member

Local Time:
    Thank you for your comment. It is nice to find out real people are here, not just robots :) .

My light is not impressive :

"04395 LED lightening LFL-CL-450 12w (W) /0,5A" (google it please, I can´t send the link because error occurs)

Actually I lowered the light at 50% until the day before tomorrow (I have dimmer) - I was waiting for duck weed and Ceratophyllum to cover the surface with aim to use their power against algae. I turned the light at highest level. I also plan to switch to EI but first I want to use my PMDD solution completely - I am not in a hurry and I want to see what will happen with the algae if I make all other measures.

5. Macek

Macek New Member

Local Time:
    I have also cut the carpet plants with algae to support their growth (My photo is a few days old).

6. burr740

burr740 ~~ Lover of Micros ~~
    Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    2:25 AM
    Nice looking tank

Macek likes this.
  7. Macek

Macek New Member

Local Time:
    I have done weekly tank maintenance recently and bigger trimming. On that occasion I took a few photos.

Before:

20180223_203703.jpg
    20180223_203723.jpg 20180223_203754.jpg

After:
    20180224_224055.jpg 20180224_224126.jpg
    You can see I have replanted some carpet plants.

I keep on fighting with green thread algae - it is mainly on the gravel which is not in the shade of plants and among carpet plants which annoys me a lot. See photos below.

20180224_231058.jpg 20180224_231104.jpg 20180224_231113.jpg 20180224_231119.jpg

I am not sure whether my LED light (12W, white - 9000K) is too strong or not. My dropchecker is almost always green and I dose PMDD daily (local brand - no nitrates, no phosphorus - all dissolved in water for ablout 4 months kept in the fridge). I change 50% water weekly. My light is on for 12 hours. CO2 is whole day and night on.
    I see a problem might be in my filter - power head with little sponge inside the 6 gal tank - head is 90gal per hour, the sponge is dirty in about three days. Weak in removing ammonium, when plants are not able to do it for some reason?

My Staugorygne and Hemianthus Cuba grows very slowly if it even grows. I am not sure why - light? Nutrients?

20180224_224022.jpg

8. Allwissend

Allwissend Article Editor
    Staff Member Lifetime Member Article Editor

Local Time:
    Hi Macek, the plants seem to be growing great. You are right, plants need nitrate and phosphate to grow and survive. You may want to consider adding that if you see problems in older leaves.
    A drop checker that is almost always green means that you may have some room to increase the CO2 a little until it reaches yellow-green
    12hours of light may be too much at this point.Most plants do good with as little as 6 hours.

The ramifications present in the algae in the photos shows that this is not a simple thread algae, maybe something more close to cladophora. In this case, you need to remove as much as possible by hand/toothbrush. Short-time spot dosing of H2O2 may also be a choice if all else fails.

Macek likes this.
  9. Macek

Macek New Member

Local Time:
    Hello Allwisend,
    thank you for your reply.

I think old leaves are not so bad. Val has been replanted short time ago, so some leaves are yellowish because of that I suppose. I will eventually purchase NO3 and P fertilizers and try it and get closer to EI principles.

I have reset my timer to 10am to 4pm.

I do this toothbrush method, carpet plants unfortunately usually unroots.

H2O2 sounds dangerous for fish to me, but if I get desperate, I will use it.