This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Ludwigia Sp Red Mini Deficiency

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by Matt Hagan, Aug 17, 2019.

1. Matt Hagan

Matt Hagan New Member

Local Time:
    12:43 PM
    My Ludwigia sp red mini has been showing some unusual colors in its leaves that eventually fall off. The color is a grayish green I would say. They still show new growth but some still show these leaves. Tank is a month old.

Setup and parameters are the following:

20 gallon tank
    Amazonia light substrate
    Twinstar 400 SA at a photo period of 7 hours
    CO2 on 2 hours before lights on and 1 hour before the end of the photoperiod. Using the twinstar light switch dimmer I have the light on the 4th intensity level which about 60% the lights possible intensity.

Co2 cuts off at 40ppm with my drop checker at light green/yellow for the remaining photoperiod.

I am EI dosing GLA powdered ferts:

1/8 Tsp KNO3
    1/32 tsp KH2PO4
    1/32 tsp K2SO4
    1/32 tsp CSM+B(trace)

Dosing macros and micros on alternating days. With a 50 to 60% WC on the 7th day using RO remineralized with salty shrimp kh/gh+..

My parameters are solid at 0/0/40, kh of 3 and a gh of 6. pH is 7.2

#1 Matt Hagan, Aug 17, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
  2. Matt Hagan

Matt Hagan New Member

Local Time:
    Please, anyone?

3. Matt Hagan

Matt Hagan New Member

Local Time:
    Problem still persists. I dimmed my Twinstar further while keeping the EI dosing the same. API liquid test shows 40-80 ppm Nitrates which I don't trust. The deficiency looks like a nitrate deficiency but I'm just uncertain. Will I run into trouble with my livestock if I try upping the nitrate dosage? What am I missing here? Tank is about two months old if that counts for anything. Please anyone, this is incredibly frustrating.

4. Swissal

Swissal Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    8:43 PM
    I am no expert, but fwiw, I went over to the calculator and checked the dosing. It seems to me that you may be dosing about double the PO4 needed, and from what I understand about nutrient uptake of one element affecting uptake of another, this may have an influence. I would check a couple of things:
    - First measure the PO4 levels with a test kit.
    - Also double-check your dosing with the dosing calculator (i use Rotala Butterfly). I have made a mistake a couple of times. Selecting KH2PO4 is not the same as K2HPO4. One gives you 1/32 tsp, the other 1/64 tsp for a 20G tank. As I said, I may be reading this wrong, so please check the numbers again for yourself.
    - And I would also tend to believe your Nitrate test kit. If the plants are not consuming it because of poor health, it will rise. Also the relatively new Amazonia will still be giving off some nutrients after only a month IMO.
    - With the ph, you say you are at 7.2. Are you getting a full 1.0 drop from the fully degassed state to peak CO2. I.e. Does it go from 7.2 to 6.2, or maybe 8.2 to 7.2?
    - And last but not least, the lighting is always a possible issue. IMHO, if you do not know the PAR it is difficult to assess the level the plants are getting.

Again, I am no expert, so hopefully someone else can offer something better.

5. Matt Hagan

Matt Hagan New Member

Local Time:

Wow I have definitely been dosing double the phosphates. I always thought signs of excess would be Green spot algae though which has not shown up in this tank. The pH drop is about 1.2. I adjusted my surface skimmer to draw more from the surface which has allowed me to up the CO2 a little more without the livestock being affected. I lowered my photoperiod back to 6 hours and will go from there. Thanks for the reply!