Ludwigia sp mini red

Nov 9, 2017
Netherlands
Hello plant people,

After reading alot on this forum since I started my hobby, I got a question of my own.
Have bought Ludwigia sp mini super red twice, it starts of with an excellent growth. After I prune it and replant the stems it, the new stems get smaller leaves and stay green. the older leaves gets little pinholes and turn yellow. The ones that are replanted stays growing.
I don't got an aqualsoil just plain sand like small gravel. I got an inline pressurized co2 running about 2/3 bps for my 100l aquarium, dosing a liquid fert that is based on EI according the seller. Doing a 50% water chnge evere week. Don't know what is the problem all my other plants seems growing fine, got a buce that flowers once a month, mosses growing great, Glosso that grows horizontal, a little BBA on the Bolbitus some GSA on AR top leaves.

I hope someone can point me in a direction.
Greetings from the Netherlands.

burr740

Micros Spiller
Feb 16, 2015
Its very hard to say based on that, but I can tell you its not lack of aquasoil. I grow it by the pounds in plain sand, plenty of other folks do too.

Its not a particularly sensitive plant but is quick to let you know if its not happy for some reason.

Total guess here but it sounds like yours is missing something. Algae on the AR's new growth is another red flag. The new growth isnt happy, which rules out a few things.

The most likely suspects sounds like Ca or Fe, possibly CO2...or something else entirely

Can you post some pictures of the ludwigia and the other plants, also knowing the KH/GH, details about the co2 delivery system, the exact ingredients in the fertilizer mix, how much and how often, any additional info you can give will help

Nov 9, 2017
Netherlands
Thanks for the quick reaction. I can't place any pictures yet hence the post. The its not on the newest growth of the AR but on the older top leaves that get the most light. The CO2 is delivered by an inline atomizer/diffuser I build in my in-tank filter not really a traditional way but it works and it keeps a glass diffusor out of my tank, the outtake is a little bit directed to the surface to create agitation.
my aquarium is 'Aquatlantis style led' if you google it you can see the filter/light etc. My KH is between 4 and 6 my GH says >4 according to the JBL proscan test.

PS don't mind my English its not my native language :)

Last edited:

skija

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Nov 16, 2015
Romania
Well i can not see any pictures , but from the description in the first post (stems get smaller and BBA) i think you might have a CO2 issue, either you aren't injecting enough , either you have too much light .

Nov 9, 2017
Netherlands
Changed the permissions on the pictures :rolleyes:
And I think you are right about the CO2, yesterday I cleaned the diffuser and it looks like there is a lot more microbubbles in the tank. Need to keep an eye on that. Also lowerd the angle of the outlet more horizontal, think it was shooting the co2 bubbles to much out of the water surface. Now its time too play the waiting game..

tiger15

Aug 12, 2017
NJ
Haha this is an post from 2017.. In the mean time I learned alot more about plants and I am four tanks further.. :)
But it was light and magnesium related..
Just wonder what light intensity do you have to improve growth of your red Ludwigia and AR.

I recently observed my red Ludwidgia, Mermaid weed and Limnophila aromatica, declined after months of vigorous growth with symptoms of bare bottom, large inter-node distance, and weak roots.. I had no idea what caused the sudden decline until I discovered that one strip light had been out for several weeks and I missed it. During the same period, my anubias and Buce were doing well and flowering, and one low light stem, Hydrophila perisperma, continued to grow vigorously. I learned that stem plant growth pattern is a good indicator of light intensity.

Nov 9, 2017
Netherlands
I don't know the light intensity as I never have used a pad meter.. But I know it suffers when it gets out shaded..
It's normal that a plant does well when you just planted it, they have lot of energy stored..

It can be that more or less lights trigger plants to flower same can happen when you change lighting periods the plant probably think that there is a change in season..