This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Lowering Photo-period Vs. Blackout

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by nerbaneth, Nov 11, 2008.

1. nerbaneth

nerbaneth Guest

Local Time:
    2:30 AM
    It's time to laugh at me now:
    I went away from my tank for 3 days and forgot to turn the lights on 'timed mode'. Meaning.. My lights were on for 3 days.

I am now an algae grower! heh.. Interestingly enough, my plants didn't grow any more than they would have grown in one day (not much) I turned off my lights, and when they came on, there was noticeable growth since when I turned them off. I don't think it means anything, but have fun thinking about it!

On to my question:
    I'd like a way to eliminate the algae that I grew those 3 days. My first thought was to Blackout my tank for 3 days - which i have read works really well. My second thought was - lowering the photo-period from 12 hours to only the amount of time where the plants can utilize the light (6-ish hours?) I am currently doing this. Has anyone done something like this, or am I just lowering the amount of time I get to look at my fishies?

Thanks,
    -Nerb

2. ccLansman

ccLansman Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    8:30 AM
    Algae can adapt to light faster than the plants so 6hrs is not really going to help there. You could do a massive trim and spot treat excel, or a blackout with water change and trimming/cleaning. Either way you most likely have to do a really thorough cleaning.

3. nerbaneth

nerbaneth Guest

Local Time:
    I think you have the wrong idea - my tank isn't in a state of crisis. From 5 feet away you can't even tell there is algae.. Just my green spot is a little bit worse (growing on some leaves) and It looks like I have staghorn algae? its like string, but doesn't get longer than a 1/4 inch. These are both algae that I had previously.. they just got a little bit worse. The 6 hour period seems to be making an effect - but I might be crazy.
    Thanks.
    -Nerb

4. nerbaneth

nerbaneth Guest

Local Time:
    Without taking out all my plants and bleaching/killing them, I have killed off all the algae in my tank (except some green spot algae that seems to grow on fast growing leaves as well as slow growing ones :confused: )

All I have done is lowered my photo period to 6 hours and turned off one of my lights(two t5 bulbs). took about a week instead of 3 days - and my plants continued to grow (vs a blackout)

It works, try it sometime ;)

-Nerb

P.S. - obviously this is not an ' ultimate fix', but it did the job until I can fix my problems