This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Lowering Ph Of Ei Solution

Discussion in 'Estimative Index' started by papa_c, Jun 24, 2018.

1. papa_c

papa_c Junior Poster
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    2:36 PM
    I've just started to add K2So4 into my EI mix. when adding this and mixing it with RO water it fizzes and then i get small white clumps form. Is this normal? i put all salts in the container and then add water. Should the K2So4 be added first to dissolve before adding the KNo3, KH2So4 and MgSo4
    ?
    I'm using 20% white vinegar 10ml in 500 mll solution white seems to help, but smells awful.

can i use citric acid powder to lower the pH with no adverse effect?

2. burr740

burr740 Micros Spiller
    Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    8:36 AM
    No that isnt normal. Is the vinegar distilled? Guy on tpt was having the same problem using vinegar he thought was not distilled. Might have something to do with it, idk

Ascorbic acid works well at .5 - .6 gram per 500 ml

Citric should work too but Ive never used it

What happens if you dont add anything to the RO water? Have you tried just using tap water? Macros dont really care (unlike micros)

3. papa_c

papa_c Junior Poster
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    The fizzing happens when I add the RO with or without vinegar. It only happens when I use K2So4, all other salts have no reaction.

I put the distilled vinegar in to try and break up the little white bits that form and this seems to work.

I think I once read somewhere about a possible reaction between salts when mixed together, but I can't find where this was.

Evening putting RO on K2So4 I get the same reaction....makes me wonder if it really is K2So4.

4. papa_c

papa_c Junior Poster
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Learn something everyday...just googled ascorbic acid and it comes up with edible Vitamin C powder!

Just happen to have a medium pot of this in the kitchen....looks like this will be liberated to the fish cabinet

#4 papa_c, Jun 24, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2018
  5. Phishless

Phishless Lifetime Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    9:36 AM
    Never had a reaction with K2SO4, make sure it is K2SO4.

6. papa_c

papa_c Junior Poster
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Thanks Guys,

Made up some more macro solution today dissolved the k2so4 first the all the other salts work no adverse reaction.

For some reason I was getting a reaction if I dissolve the salts all at the same time.

Problem solved but I don't know why!