This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Lower leaves falling off

Discussion in 'Are you new to aquatic plants? Start here' started by GillesF, Jan 15, 2012.

1. GillesF

GillesF Member

Local Time:
    4:54 AM
    Hi guys

I've recently introduced emersive Hygrophila PolySperma and Rotala Rotundifolia in my tank and they have been in there for two weeks now. I'm dosing full EI, 13x turnover and good circulation with spray bar (back to front), drop checker light green at lights on. I'm injecting CO2 through an inline atomizer and can see bubbles all around the tank.

However, I'm noticing that the Hygro and Rotala are losing their lower leaves. Yet, I can see tiny CO2 bubbles floating between the stems (of course, there's less CO2 there due to other plants blocking the bubbles). Is this the change from emersive to submersive (so far, all the leaves are still emersive) or is there something wrong?

Dosing routine:

3x 10ppm KNO3
    3x 1ppm KH2PO4
    3x 10ml CSM+B (0,7ppm Fe per dosing)
    CO2 through atomizer, DC light green at lights on and good distribution
    1x T5 24w over 60x40x40cm

Thanks,
    Gilles

2. jerrybforl

jerrybforl Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    You have them too close together. When they are planted too close together, light doesn't get to the lower part of the stem. Hygro especially since it has longer leaves. The tips of the leaves should barely be touching!

Try to pull a few of the stems and replant. That should help tons. They are both weeds and should grow back rather quickly.

3. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    Emergent plant leaves often drop anyway also, good CO2, good spacing and regular trimming help.

4. GillesF

GillesF Member

Local Time:
    I haven't trimmed them yet, waiting for the stems to reach the surface and then I trim everything in the form I want. I'd like to have them grow bushy like on this picture.

I'll check the spacing today and remove some where possible.

*update*: the top leaves look stunted (although plenty of nutritients) and I can see tiny new leaves emerging next to the old leaves. I guess this is all normal?

#4 GillesF, Jan 16, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2012
  5. jerrybforl

jerrybforl Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    You definately need to space them! To get the bushy look you're wanting, that comes with trimming.

Go to youtube and look at some of the vids on there like this...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5b0NGJkPGfY

This guy is just snipping away lol. I was looking for a vid I saw a while back. It was an Italian guy and he was just whacking the weeds right out of there!

6. GillesF

GillesF Member

Local Time:
    Allright, so no replanting the tops? I hate that tbh ...

7. GillesF

GillesF Member

Local Time:
    I made some pictures. They are not clear but should give a idea of how my plants are doing atm (I really should learn to take macro pictures lol!)

Hygrophila Polysperma:

r6wfoj.jpg

You can clearly see the difference between emersive and submersive forms from the leaves just above the wood (from our point of view). I can see leaves growing about 1cm above the substrate and good rooting (not seen on the picture).

Rotala Rotundifolia/Indica:

3hhtk.jpg

Lower leaves still falling off, I assume these are the emersive leaves due to their round form compared to the new leaves at the top, which are more elliptic. I do not see rooting as with the Hygro and growth is definitely slower. New leaves are small but look healthy.

Can I assume that this is just a transformation process from emersive to submersive and not some deficiency? Should I trim the stems to encourage growth?

8. GillesF

GillesF Member

Local Time:
    No one?
    I'm thinking of removing the lower emersive parts of the Rotala and planting the submersive tops. Is it possible that the Rotala isn't rooting well because the lower parts are still emersive?