This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Low tech with tank ada amazonia water changes?

Discussion in 'Non-CO2 Methods' started by Piotr, Aug 11, 2015.

1. Piotr

Piotr Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    11:52 PM
    Hi all,

Im starting a low tech, 7.5 gallon tank with aquasoil. (Low tech: low light, no co2, no water column dosing but with big canister filter and a rich substrate)

I know that changing water makes the co2 levels fluctuate so you want to keep that to a minumum with this kind of tank..

but i also keep reading about the ammonia aquasoil releases in the beginning and the way to get rid of it is to do large water changes for the first couple of weeks (and plant heavy)

Now i'm stuck, should i ignore the possible co2 problems and get rid of the ammonia by doing 50% waterchanges or should i just wait do nothing, maybe smaller changes?

I have also not decided if i want to put a layer of clay underneath the aquasoil or go with root tabs for the crypts, Helianthemum tennelum & Saggitaria subulata, all heavy root feeders it seems.

Any advice welcome :)

#1 Piotr, Aug 11, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2015
  2. Piotr

Piotr Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    Anyone with expeience on low tech tanks with aquasoil?

3. vilenarios

vilenarios Junior Poster

Local Time:
    I switched my low tech tank (12 gallon fluval edge) from gravel to aquasoil a few weeks ago. Did a bunch of water changes after the initial fill up to clear up the dust/particles. I reused about half of the water from the original tank + my cycled canister filter, and didn't notice any ammonia spike whatsoever (so far). I'm doing a modified EI fertilizer approach and like a 40% water change every couple of weeks. Fish have been happy and healthy since day 1 of the switch.

The plants nearly immediately responded to the aquasoil, and I should have done the switch long ago.

For some reason it says every pic I try to upload is corrupted.... rather annoying. So I put a link to a pic below.

4. Jherzy

Jherzy Guest

Local Time:
    5:52 PM
    I'm in the process of setting up a 114 gallon tank that sounds very similar to what you've described.

It's still very new, and the ammonia hasn't hit 0 yet (0.25 according to the test kit).

Also using ADA Aquasoil. You cannot dodge the water changes to drive the ammonia down.

Unless you're prepared to wait a very very long time depending on the volume of soil you've used.

Start doing the water changes now lol.

5. Wesus

Wesus New Member

Local Time:
    You can try to add some seachem prime and 20% WC.

6. Jherzy

Jherzy Guest

Local Time:
    5:52 PM
    He's got a good point, you can probably minimise your water changes if you already have established filter media from another tank.