This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. Dismiss Notice
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Low-tech/excel tank - dosing regime

Discussion in 'Advanced Strategies and Fertilization' started by jerime, Dec 30, 2007.

1. jerime

jerime Member

Local Time:
    12:22 PM
    Hi,
    Need to know which ferts should I use for a low tech tank - are there any specific compounds that shouldn't be used in a low tech tank? (Diana walstad states in her book that the S derivatives isn't suggested in the low tech etc).

In a 100 L tank, what s'd be my fert regime?

Is that any different from an excel low tech tank?

And last, is a 2 a month water change ok or s'd we still keep it to 1 every 4-6 mths (even though we use excel)?

Sorry for the multi question - didn't ask for a long time now...:)

2. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    See the "non CO2 method" article.
    Excel is like adding 1/3 CO2, so use CO2 methods, eg water changes and some light ferts.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

3. geministudios54

geministudios54 Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Hi Tom. So even if the recommended amount of excel is dosed, does that mean it's only 1/3 as effective as pressurized C02?

4. VaughnH

VaughnH Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Excel is not as effective a source of carbon as CO2. So, an Excel tank will never have as much carbon available for the plants as a CO2 tank. And, if the carbon isn't available the plants can't use as much of the other nutrients.

5. geministudios54

Local Time:
    Thanx VaughnH. I could never quite verify if the two methods were on par or if excel was the lesser of the two as far as getting CO2 to the plants. But I guess I can see that if a low to medium light tank without pressurized CO2 injection was the goal, excel could be a handy alternative especially on a small tank.

6. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    It's not better/worse etc, it's just slower growth rates, 1/3 as fast as non limiting CO2.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

7. geministudios54

Local Time:
    Thanks again Tom. That gives me a good indicatiion as to what to expect from excel vs CO2 injection..