Low-tech/excel tank - dosing regime

jerime

Jan 23, 2005
Hi,
Need to know which ferts should I use for a low tech tank - are there any specific compounds that shouldn't be used in a low tech tank? (Diana walstad states in her book that the S derivatives isn't suggested in the low tech etc).

In a 100 L tank, what s'd be my fert regime?

Is that any different from an excel low tech tank?

And last, is a 2 a month water change ok or s'd we still keep it to 1 every 4-6 mths (even though we use excel)?

Sorry for the multi question - didn't ask for a long time now...:)

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
See the "non CO2 method" article.
Excel is like adding 1/3 CO2, so use CO2 methods, eg water changes and some light ferts.

Regards,
Tom Barr

geministudios54

Junior Poster
Mar 2, 2005
Hi Tom. So even if the recommended amount of excel is dosed, does that mean it's only 1/3 as effective as pressurized C02?

VaughnH

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005
Sacramento, CA
Excel is not as effective a source of carbon as CO2. So, an Excel tank will never have as much carbon available for the plants as a CO2 tank. And, if the carbon isn't available the plants can't use as much of the other nutrients.

geministudios54

Junior Poster
Mar 2, 2005
Thanx VaughnH. I could never quite verify if the two methods were on par or if excel was the lesser of the two as far as getting CO2 to the plants. But I guess I can see that if a low to medium light tank without pressurized CO2 injection was the goal, excel could be a handy alternative especially on a small tank.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
It's not better/worse etc, it's just slower growth rates, 1/3 as fast as non limiting CO2.

Regards,
Tom Barr