This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Low Tech equipment questions? Advice Needed.

Discussion in 'Non-CO2 Methods' started by kevinmichael77, Oct 9, 2014.

1. kevinmichael77

kevinmichael77 Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    9:45 PM
    So my girlfriend just bought me a 40b for my birthday and I was thinking of going low tech since I had no plans to start another tank. I would be on a budget so I just wanted to know if what I had laying around would work ok.

I have a eheim 2217 that I could use for filtration. Would that be enough?

I have a 24" 2x24w GLO T5HO fixture from a previous set up. Would this be too much light and would the 6' gap on either side be a problem since the tank is 36"? I could suspend it.

I was also toying with purchasing two finnex stingrays and mounting them directly on the tank. If the t5 fixture doesn't work, would this be good lighting for a low tech non CO2 tank.

I plan on using Tom's suggested substrate and have most the other things needed for scaping and what not. It's basically the hardware that I'm struggling with.

The tank would probably just consist of crypts, java fern, moss, maybe blyxa, and perhaps some redish plants. Wanna go with a islandy look with branchy manzanita and a bit of rock.

Also would a base of Black diamond look bad if I wanted to cap it with light or white substrate? Not sure on this one.

Any help is appreciated!

As always

Kev

#1 kevinmichael77, Oct 9, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2014
  2. kevinmichael77

Local Time:
    Anyone share any knowledge?

3. cuban007

cuban007 Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Also intersed in the response to your question. +1

4. Mooner

Mooner Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    I will share a little since cuban007 has resurrected this old post....

5. kevinmichael77

Local Time:
    Thanks for the advice. I ended up just going with aquasoil and doing a DSM. So far everything is going great. So great that I am hesitant to fill it with water!

6. kevinmichael77

Local Time:
    So I've finally decided to flood the tank this next month and I'm still struggling with lighting decisions. The tank has done very well with the dsm but I want to redo my high tech tank and will need another home for my livestock.

Currently the tank is full of staurogyne repens and ar mini. I will prolly ditch the ar mini and throw in some Blyxa to mimic Tom's tank a bit. I still plan on using excel as well as dosing reduced ferts.

I'm have my media for my eheim 2217 getting seasoned but I'm still unsure about the lighting.

Until now I've just been using my glo 24 inch 2x24w t5ho fixture but I'm not sure this will work once the tank is flooded. It will be hanging above the tank but I'm not sure the coverage will be adequate.

Any suggestions for a med tech light for a 40b?

7. Crom

Crom Junior Poster

Local Time:
    What is 40b? Is that 40 gallon?

I had a 36 gallon that I ran with 2x24W T5's excel dosed that was amazing. There was algae issues at first, but then I grew the one wall in with Christmas Moss and always kept some floating hornwort on top and that did the trick.... Pretty much the best looking tank I ever had. Dwarf Hairgrass grew strong across the front, I had a Red Tiger Lotus that bloomed, a Crinium Calimastratum, and a bunch of the usual anubias, java types..

Had that tank for about 4 years.

#7 Crom, May 7, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2015
  8. kevinmichael77

Local Time:
    Yeah it's s 40 breeder. Nice looking tank! My concern is coverage. The 40b is three feet in length and the fixture I currently have is a two foot fixture. I have the ability to hang it but I'm not sure if that will help at all.

9. shoggoth43

shoggoth43 Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Length can be odd. I was able to easily run a 4' fixture on a 5' tank and never really noticed "dark ends". Distance was about 10-12" above the waterline. This was T5HOs. So 54W x 2. Not sure how that would really compare, but 2' fixture on a 3' tank should give you the same 6" "dark ends". Whether or not the fixture has enough power to compensate for that if you raise it up enough you'll have to try it out and see.

10. Crom

Crom Junior Poster

Local Time:
    oh... I see. I recently tried something similar. I had a 48" in tank with a 36" light, thought I could raise it to compensate and it was just too weak by the time the light got down to the substrate. I had to shell out the 150.00 to buy another bigger light.....

sorry couldn't be more help, not sure if there is a good way to know unless you got a par meter.

11. kevinmichael77

Local Time:
    Yeah. Not really sure what par to target for low tech. It's my first really low tech planted attempt.

12. Diogo Reis

Diogo Reis Junior Poster

Local Time:
    A good substrate is necessary and a little bit of ei :)

13. kevinmichael77

Local Time:
    Crazy that o got a reply to this thread today. At the time you responded I was finally filling up my tank for the first time. I've had it on dsm since November since I've had not time to deal with it. Just moved and it's finally up and running as we speak.

I wasn't able to move my Ro/Di unit yet since my high tech hasn't been moved yet. Today I used probably a 60/40 split between Ro and tap water.

Today I filled the tank. Did a double dose of excel and dosed kno3, kh2po4 and equilibrium. I will begin testing in a few days but my hope is that it's pretty much cycled from the dsm start.

Do I dose excel daily then?

Plants so far are:

Stauro

Blyxa

Hygro compact

Needle leaf