Low Tech EI dosing, Excel & Lights

hadjici2

Junior Poster
Aug 19, 2005
Hello,

I have a 20L tank with crypts and anubias and 4 rummy noses. It was neglected and now that I moved it in the kitchen it will receive more attention. It has an internal filter and an 11w CFL and clay based gravel. NO water changes done just topping up of evaporated water!

Now I have decided to dose with EI.

1. What will be my dosing in EI (quantity wise)?
2. Do I need to dose Excel? Meaning will I gain more than I risk from all the carbon liquid implications (algae maybe)?
3. How long should I switch the lights on for?
4. I currently have some green hair algae and I don't know why since I don't do water changes, I dose EI (inaccurately) and I don't switch lights on so its just ambient light from the room (no direct sunlight). Why the algae?
5. Should I do water changes or not?

Thanks

rjordan393

Guru Class Expert
Mar 5, 2013
Levittown, Pa.
My opinion on using Excel should be limited to treating the plants infested with algae outside of the tank in another container.
Excel can be a toxic substance if directions are not followed. Do a search for a material data safety sheet on it. I wash my hands ever time after handling it.
If you decide to dose your tank with it, the amount to use is on the directions. At this time, I doubt that Excel is responsible for causing algae because many that use the product, use it to kill algae.
I cannot help with the lights but the basic recommendation if you have algae is to cut back on the lighting period to 9 hours.
Water changes of 50% is the recommendation. As another aquarium products supplier stated: the reason for water changes is to re-supply the ions that are used up. Its like having a lead acid battery that has been discharged. the lead does not disappear, only the charge. So doing a water change replaces the charge.
Do you know how much nitrates and phosphates are in your tap or well water? You must take this into account when you follow any dosing recommendations.
The EI method does not take this into account or any other method. Nitrates and phosphates enter the tank in four ways. The water supply, food,fish waste and what you dose.
Now you have to learn to balance that input with a dosing regimen such as EI.
Another point to think about is how fast can your plants used up the nutrients that you dose. Anubias are slow growers. I suspect that you may have overdosed in the past. Test kits such as "Nutrafin" for nitrates and phosphates give decent results and will help you determine how much to dose.
If you go to americanaquariumproducts.com .......you will find a lot of good information to help you be successful.

Last edited by a moderator: