Low ph, Water Quality Report, a Question...

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
Beating Avoidance Mode

Hi Pat,

With a couple of exceptions, I think a minimum alkalinity of 4dKH is a real good idea. :)

This is somewhat controversial around here, so this is just between you and me. :eek:

Biollante

pat w

Nov 4, 2009
Daphne, AL (east Mobile Bay)
OK, So I'm dosing sodium bicarb to raise my kH. 6 Tsp. each week into a 80 gal water column during a 50% WC. Should I be able to get a closer feel of the CO2 from the standard kH/pH/CO2 charts directly from a pH test of tank water since the lion's share of my kH now comes from carbonate?

Pat

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
Better Question Than I Have Answer

pat w;54980 said:
Should I be able to get a closer feel of the CO2 from the standard kH/pH/CO2 charts directly from a pH test of tank water since the lion's share of my kH now comes from carbonate?

Pat

Hi Pat,

A good question, I wish I had a good answer. :eek:

I would think that raising and stabilizing the alkalinity should make calculating CO2 via change in pH more accurate. I guess I still would not make myself too reliant on KH/pH/CO2 charts, still best to watch the plants and critters. :)

Biollante

pat w

Nov 4, 2009
Well ... anywho ... I see a drop in pH from around 8.3, taken just before the CO2 starts flowing, down to about 6.8 min. All critters appear happy and healthy. Plants doing well as far as I can tell.

Pat

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
Mumbo The Jumbo

Hi Pat,

It does seem as though you have a good level of CO2. :)

The ultimate problem with ph/KH/CO2 tables/calculators is they assume CO2 is the only actor on pH.

An aquarium, especially a young aquarium with enriched substrates, has many actors. Some by themselves are negligible but together can have a noticeable or significant effect on the pH of the water column. :gw

Biollante

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
Calibrate, Calibrate Dance to the... Opps...A Three Dog Night Moment...

Hi Pat,

Just saw this post by Tom Barr, if you want to use the pH/KH/CO2 chart, I recall you have or wanted a pH controller to maintain CO2 levels. I think Tom Barr gives a really good method calibrate for your system. With a new system, I would recalibrate monthly at minimum for awhile until things are stable and you have a good feel for the system. :)

http://www.barrreport.com/showthread.php/5505-tank-yme-log-1?p=54730#post54730.

Biollante

pat w

Nov 4, 2009
Biollante;55014 said:
Just saw this post by Tom Barr, if you want to use the pH/KH/CO2 chart, I recall you have or wanted a pH controller to maintain CO2 levels.

If I ever had (and I might have and now am having a senior moment) I've moved on to the more reliable "observe the critters and plants" method. The only reason I was asking the question above was in an effort to give myself a back check of sorts.

BTW ... The Rhizo is starting to loose ground. I'm not out of the woods yet but now it's just a general PITA as opposed to an extra strength, heavy duty PITA.

Pat