Low-light, growth, maintenance

Kevmo

Junior Poster
Jan 23, 2005
Hi Tom,

Can you help me create a nice formula for simple setups?

I only want to dose once a week -- at the time of the water change -- because I simply won't be able to.

I only want to grow slow-growers (crypts, anubias, java fern/moss, bolbitis, etc...)

I would like a larger fish load. Flourite, CO2 injection, etc...

How would you do this with no spot algae? How much watt/gallon? How much fert? What should I watch out for?

Thanks a million!

Kevmo

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Re: Low-light, growth, maintenance

For a 55 gal tank:

2x40watt Triton bulbs with an expandable reflector. 60% weekly water changes, dose normal dose after the water change. The fish should easily handle the rest of the tank's nutrient demand at this light level with high CO2.

I did a similar tank, I cleaned the glass once every 3 months, Ferns, Crypts and few stem plants. I dosed 1/2 teaspoon KNO3, 1/2 teaspoon K2SO4, 1/8 KH2PO4 and 15 mls of traces.

Regards,

Tom Barr

Kevmo

Junior Poster
Jan 23, 2005

Thanks. I remember reading somewhere that your water has higher phosphates already. Is this 1/8 t KH2PO4 (for your low light 55 gallon setup) assuming that we have ZERO PO4 already in our water?

Thanks again. I appreciate it.

Kevmo

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005

I'd add it even if I did not know the tap water, extra is not going to cause an issue, too little will slow the NO3 uptake down etc, help encourage green spot algae etc.

Call the tap water company and ask if they add any or have readings for it.

Regards,

Tom Barr