This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Low height tank. Pros and Cons?

Discussion in 'Aquascaping' started by Aristotelis Vasilakos, Feb 2, 2014.

1. Aristotelis Vasilakos

Local Time:
    9:14 AM
    Hello everybody.
    I'm new in the forum and new in the aquarium hobby. I have started with a 125lt planted aquarium and results have been far better than I thought, thanks to the advices in forums like this one, so thanks in advance for all the amazing information you share.

I recently had a look at a low height tank on a youtube video
    [video=youtube;COsbWPtDEI0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COsbWPtDEI0[/video]

I was quite impressed by the design but most importantly by the low height of the aquarium (just 20cm height!) and the fact that it would make working on the aquarium much easier.
    Now I'm about starting my second tank (this time my wife promoted me from my studio room to the living room, yay! :p ) and I was thinking about something similar. Something like 120cm length, 40-45 depth, and around 30height.

Are there any cons against such a non typical low height aquarium?

Thank you in advance for any advice you can give me.

2. Ach1Ll3sH33L

Ach1Ll3sH33L Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Just like any other tank, these are best setup as iwagumi style, or with slow growing stem plants, due to the fact the limited height will require constant trimming on faster growing plants.

3. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    FTS looks bad unless you add the above tank look.
    These are 3 D type tanks.
    These are nice, and make low growing plantings nice.

4. Tug

Tug Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    I would love to hear this guy at the AGA conference.
    Iwagumi design, interesting tank and suspended light sources all have a lot going on -
    providing for some interesting conversation.

Laying down additives for the bacteria - interesting.
    Is that peas and carrots in the cat food? Nice Youtube. Thanks for dropping it.

#4 Tug, Feb 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2014
  5. Aristotelis Vasilakos

Local Time:
    Thank you all for your replies.
    So except the obvious trimming issues with fast growth plants, and aesthetic decisions, there aren't any cons regarding fishes for example. (obviously small ones, not going to put any discus in there)

thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you all for your replies.
    So except the obvious trimming issues with fast growth plants, and aesthetic decisions, there aren't any cons regarding fishes for example. (obviously small ones, not going to put any discus in there)

thanks

6. Petex

Petex Member

Local Time:
    The only disadvantage from low heigh tanks is that they need more Co2, because you mostly need a strong pump to get enough water flow from one end to the other end. Well, a strong pump certainly results in more water surface agitation and this will gas out co2 faster, too.
    I have for example a 11L nano tank with 43cmx16cm high and this tank needs a co2 higher bubble rate as my 54L stock tank (60x30x30).

7. Aristotelis Vasilakos

Local Time:
    That's interesting, thanks! Maybe on a 120cm large tank I could use 2 CO2 diffusers one on every side… hmmm

- - - Updated - - -

That's interesting, thanks! Maybe on a 120cm large tank I could use 2 CO2 diffusers one on every side… hmmm

8. Petex

Petex Member

Local Time:
    1 Diffusor would be fine - it may take still need a little bit more hours to increase the Co2 concentration.
    My concerns would be more (as larger and lower a tank) that you can´t simply install a pretty strong pump if you want to keep fish, shrimps or plants that do not look all the time like a flag in the heavy wind.

Otherwise, if you install for example a weak filter on the left side then it will at last transport all the dirt just only to right side and it will still sink and stick there.

9. dbot

dbot Member

Local Time:
    Maybe a canister filter with the "spin" type lily pipe?