This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Unfortunately for Photobucket users, things have changed in a big way as of June 26th they are rolling out a $399 per year subscription fee for those who want to hotlink images from Photobucket’s servers to display elsewhere.
    This does not mean it only affects this site, It now means that billions of images across the Web now display an error message instead of the image in question. :(
    https://barrreport.com/threads/attention-photobucket-users.14377/
    Dismiss Notice

Lost

Discussion in 'Algae Control' started by cyclo, May 13, 2005.

  1. cyclo

    cyclo Junior Poster

    Joined:
    Mar 3, 2005
    Messages:
    3
    Likes Received:
    0
    I'm starting to get a little frustrated with the algae in my tank so i thought i'd post here and here someone can gimme some pointers.

    I'll start with my tank setup:

    size: 80 litres
    plants: heavily planted with red green ludwigia, hygro polysperma, straight vallis, 1 amazon sword, 1 nymphaea stellata bulb, and the forground is covered with pygmy chain swords
    substrate: tahitian moon sand mixed with JBL florapol (wish i hadn't mixed it with anything now since im doing EI).
    C02: DIY - 15/20ppm, cant seem to push it any further, need to get a proper kit.
    light: 72w PC's mirrored reflectors.

    My tap water contains no NO3, ~5 ppm PO4, very little KH/GH. I started doing EI about 3 weeks ago and have been following tom barrs suggestions and adding 1/8 tsp KN03 every other day (very hard to measure tho). 4ml trace on the off days. I dont need to add any KH2PO4 as the PO4 from the tap water doesnt seem to shift. when i've tested for N03 towards the end of the week its been around 20ppm. I've also been adding KH to reach 4dkh, and GH to ~7dkh.

    Now the problem...

    fuss/hair algae has grown rapidly since starting EI and is now covering pretty much every leaf, especially those towards the surface and those that arent shadowed by anything. the algae is dark green in color. I did a 3 day black out last week as i was stating to get BGA, and so far that has gone, but this other stuff came back within a day of turning the lights back on.

    My tank looks stunning from a distance, but as u get closer u discover the grim reality.

    Would get greatfull of any help.
     
  2. Tom Barr

    Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator Social Group Admin

    Joined:
    Jan 23, 2005
    Messages:
    18,474
    Likes Received:
    341
    Re: Lost

    CO2 and CO2 and CO2.

    That is the challenge you have.
    See the DIY venturi reactor for CO2 on the site here.
    Build one.
    Change the brew weekly, wait till it's been mixed well for 30-60 minutes before attaching to the CO2 reactor when you change things.

    Regards,
    Tom Barr
     
  3. travdawg

    travdawg Guru Class Expert

    Joined:
    Feb 2, 2005
    Messages:
    102
    Likes Received:
    0
    Re: Lost

    Tom, why wait an hour to hook it up??? I mix mine, turn it over for a sec, then back over again & hook it up to the tubing.... Just wondering why you would wait, in case I need to start doing that as well!
     
  4. Paul

    Paul Guru Class Expert

    Joined:
    Jan 24, 2005
    Messages:
    169
    Likes Received:
    0
    Re: Lost

    I think because it would take about an hour for the mixture to start working properly, mine used to take 30-60 mins, then you have no drop in co2 while it starts (I think)
     
  5. Tom Barr

    Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator Social Group Admin

    Joined:
    Jan 23, 2005
    Messages:
    18,474
    Likes Received:
    341
    Re: Lost

    Waiting for the brew to get going.
    Prevents almost all backsiphoning issues.

    Regards,
    Tom Barr
     
Loading...

Share This Page