This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Lost

Discussion in 'Are you new to aquatic plants? Start here' started by bubuk, Jul 4, 2008.

1. bubuk

bubuk Junior Poster

Local Time:
    8:06 PM
    Hi everyone. Yes I have done some searching but I am at a lost with so many info here.

My question is simple. Where can I find a link that explains what a newbie needs to do with his new tank? I have 2' tank, I have AS, I have 110W lighting to grow hairgrass. I have Eheim 2213 filter.

Where can I read info on steps like:
    - do I need to add SAEs immediately after I do my planting
    - if no, then how long would I have to wait before introducing fish into my tank
    - do I need to dose with full strength of EI immediately after planting? or do I dose with half strength or what ?
    - do I need to twice weekly WC for the first M months? What is M ?

Please advise. Thank you so much in advance.

2. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    8:06 PM
    I doubt there is one link that answers all.

Options:

1. The library.
    2. Buy a book or two on fish keeping and maintenance. There is a recent thread on some good fish books.
    3. Talk to your local fish store if possible.
    4. Talk to other experienced fish keepers.

Where can I read info on steps like:
    - do I need to add SAEs immediately after I do my planting

It would be better as they will help to keep algae down. However if the tank is cycling, be careful or you may lose them.

- if no, then how long would I have to wait before introducing fish into my tank

You have to be careful as the tank is cycling. This is variable on size of tank, how many fish/plants, filtration, etc. could take up to 8-12 weeks. Esp with your substrate.

- do I need to dose with full strength of EI immediately after planting? or do I dose with half strength or what ?

Up to you based on how much growth you want and how many plants. I started at 50% EI just to get started and went from there.

- do I need to twice weekly WC for the first M months? What is M ?

Not sure where you got M from, but it probably means N which denotes an unknown number like X. As in do WC twice weekly for 3 (N or M or X) months.

For a new tank esp, you want to do 2-3 weekly until your NH4 (ammonio) readings are 0. AS leaches NH4 a lot.

There is tons of info out there, not always in the form you want..

Try searching on keywords instead of a full sentence. Takes longer, and you may have to read multiple threads, but there is a lot to learn, and you can't expect to get it all in a minute.

Hope this helps.

P.S. You need to think about using c02 or not.