Lost

bubuk

Junior Poster
Jul 4, 2008
Hi everyone. Yes I have done some searching but I am at a lost with so many info here.

My question is simple. Where can I find a link that explains what a newbie needs to do with his new tank? I have 2' tank, I have AS, I have 110W lighting to grow hairgrass. I have Eheim 2213 filter.

Where can I read info on steps like:
- do I need to add SAEs immediately after I do my planting
- if no, then how long would I have to wait before introducing fish into my tank
- do I need to dose with full strength of EI immediately after planting? or do I dose with half strength or what ?
- do I need to twice weekly WC for the first M months? What is M ?

Please advise. Thank you so much in advance.

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
My question is simple. Where can I find a link that explains what a newbie needs to do with his new tank? I have 2' tank, I have AS, I have 110W lighting to grow hairgrass. I have Eheim 2213 filter.

I doubt there is one link that answers all.

Options:

1. The library.
2. Buy a book or two on fish keeping and maintenance. There is a recent thread on some good fish books.
3. Talk to your local fish store if possible.
4. Talk to other experienced fish keepers.

Where can I read info on steps like:
- do I need to add SAEs immediately after I do my planting

It would be better as they will help to keep algae down. However if the tank is cycling, be careful or you may lose them.

- if no, then how long would I have to wait before introducing fish into my tank

You have to be careful as the tank is cycling. This is variable on size of tank, how many fish/plants, filtration, etc. could take up to 8-12 weeks. Esp with your substrate.

- do I need to dose with full strength of EI immediately after planting? or do I dose with half strength or what ?

Up to you based on how much growth you want and how many plants. I started at 50% EI just to get started and went from there.

- do I need to twice weekly WC for the first M months? What is M ?

Not sure where you got M from, but it probably means N which denotes an unknown number like X. As in do WC twice weekly for 3 (N or M or X) months.

For a new tank esp, you want to do 2-3 weekly until your NH4 (ammonio) readings are 0. AS leaches NH4 a lot.

There is tons of info out there, not always in the form you want..

Try searching on keywords instead of a full sentence. Takes longer, and you may have to read multiple threads, but there is a lot to learn, and you can't expect to get it all in a minute.

Hope this helps.

P.S. You need to think about using c02 or not.