This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Looking for the right dirt

Discussion in 'Sediment / Substrate' started by geektom, Jun 29, 2017.

1. geektom

geektom Junior Poster

Local Time:
    5:58 AM
    hey all- I know everyone loves the Miracle Grow Organic Quality Potting Mix for their dirted tanks- but I can't find any where I live.

Before I pay to ship some, I thought I would compare some other organic brands that are available.

The green label is a new organic brand from Miracle Grow- seems much more aggressive on the nutrients than MGOQPM.

The other is "Black Gold", which I think is intended for Hydroponic growing.

What is the ideal for Potassium and Nitrate I should be looking for? .05 - .10?

IMG_0651.JPG

IMG_0650.JPG

2. rajkm

rajkm Article Editor
    Staff Member Lifetime Member Article Editor

Local Time:
    I think either is good. Higher nutrients help. Some of it will leach out initially so you need to monitor

3. ForTheHalibut

ForTheHalibut Member

Local Time:
    12:58 AM
    If you're worried about your soil being too nutrient-rich, you can dilute it with sand. I always mix my soil layer with a bit of sand anyway, in the (completely unproven) belief that it helps mitigate cap breach.

4. Pikez

Pikez Rotala Killer!
    Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
  5. Tim Harrison

Tim Harrison Member

Local Time:
    If I had to choose I'd go for the green label if it contains peat. If you're concerned about the nutrient content you could also cut it with some extra peat. I usually go for a 1:1 mix of potting compost and moss peat anyway. I prefer soil substrate with a very high organic content.

I think soils higher in peat content have a more open structure, which is perhaps a little more conducive to root development, water movement, nutrient transference, and gas exchange. Soils higher in clay content, for instance, can become very sludgy and compact once they're mineralised. Ultimately, I guess all that really depends on what you intend to cap it with. A greater amount of organic matter might also result in higher CO2 production over a longer period.

Aquatic compost typically used in ponds is also a good option, again I usually mix it with peat. These types of products typically have nutrient levels just high enough to aid good plant growth but low enough to prevent excessive release of nitrogenous compounds such as ammonium.

Water chemistry isn't my strong point but I'd be a bit concerned about the soluble salts in the composts you've posted about, they could raise the TDS and pH. Also with both having a manure content I should imagine there will be a fair amount of ammonia leaching.

#5 Tim Harrison, Oct 13, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2017