Looking For Stocking Suggestions; 37 Gallon Tank With Kuhli Loaches. Other Fish Ideas?

Kate

Jul 5, 2018
Michigan, USA
Tank Specs
  • 37 gallon tank (30" L x 16" W x 22" H)
  • TopFin Power 40 Filter (soon to be switched out for a canister instead)
  • Some plants, but will eventually be a fully planted tank. Plants include DHG (might remove as I know it won't carpet without CO2), and unidentified crypts.
  • Hood with built in, standard LED lights. Will be replacing soon with Finnex Planted+ 24/7.
  • EI Dosing
  • Fish stock: 6 Kuhli Loaches. A female betta who will soon be moved.
  • Tank style: Forest Diorama look to it.
  • Water is very hard. pH is very high (8.2 or higher usually). Don't have my GH or KH test yet but will be getting it next week.
Hi everyone! Looking for suggestions on fish for the tank. The kuhli loaches will be staying, and I was considering doing glowlight tetras because i was told they might look like "fireflies in the forest". Not sure what to do in regards to centerpiece fish or a second school. The tank is fairly tall. I was thinking more kuhli loaches probably. Would also like an algae eater- any recommendations on pleco's?

Thanks! :)

Barliman

Junior Poster
Jan 27, 2016
Black Ruby Barbs? More peaceful than Tiger Barbs and gorgeous when in breeding form.

X3NiTH

Jul 3, 2018
Bonnie Scotland
Norman's Lampeye have really bright blue patches above the eyes if you want the glow fly look (or undead fish the Night King turned!) much brighter than glow light tetras (I have both). Glow light Tetras tend to spread themselves around a tank not really shoaling (a group of twelve never stuck together and spread out), Normans Lampeye on the other hand does shoal together forming a tight grouping even when their numbers are low.

BDP603

Dec 8, 2017
NH
I have hill stream loaches with my kuhlis, neat little algae eaters. Though it would be best to add them to an established tank. I Even have several pea puffers with mine but they’re pretty well fed (may not be a good combo for some but got lucky).

Dhg will carpet without co2. However it will certainly be a lot slower growing.