This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Looking for lighting help

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by geektom, Jun 28, 2017.

1. geektom

geektom Junior Poster

Local Time:
    2:10 PM
    Hello, all.

First of all, I have been keeping planted tanks for a long time, but compared to most of the posts here, I feel like I am in the Stone Age, so please be patient with me.

I do not currently have any tanks set up and will be embarking on restoring a 150g tank, filtered by an 80g sump. I will do CO2, most likely through a reactor in the return line.

I got the tank because I have never had one this large, and I was really intrigued by the dimensions: 60" long x 18" high x 30" wide.

It its a euro-braced glass tank, and I want to take advantage of the open top to have some of my scape extend above the water.

My preference would be for an LED solution that could be hung above the tank. Assuming an average of 3" substrate, + the light being 6-12" above the tank, I need a light that will effectively penetrate 21-27" of water. I do not need to have a "carpet" effect, but would like to keep some lower growing plants like Staurogyne repens and Crypt. parva.

Personally, I don't feel any need for "dawn/dusk" settings, "thunderstorms", etc.

Finally, I would like to keep my total cost for lighting around 500 dollars, if possible.

Any help and/or advice is greatly appreciated!

2. rajkm

rajkm Article Editor
    Staff Member Lifetime Member Article Editor

Local Time:
    If you don't care for looks check out sbreef freshwater led. Lots of good reviews. I use it too and love it. I just don't like the looks so it sits on my garage tank, but I will highly recommend it.

3. geektom

geektom Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Thanks so much. I do care about looks-- this will be my only tank for a while, so I need it to be a showpiece.

I will check them out- not familiar with the name.

One of the options I was considering was doing 2 Finnex 30" fixtures, side by side, to cover the entire 60" length, probably the Plant+, but not the 24/7. Seeing as the tank is 30" deep, though- I wonder if 1 fixture is enough to deliver the light "front to back".

The tank is a unique challenge because of the euro-bracing, which creates an opening at the top of the aquarium that is 54" across (lengthwise). The 48' fixtures I have seen, even with the extendable legs, all look like they sag in the middle when stretch out that far, which is why I want to suspend the lights over the tank.

I haven't figured out the "how" of the suspending, yet. I want to find the right lights first.

Just had a thought: I suppose I could also use the 30" fixture and set them across the width, instead of side by side across the length? Hmmm... I wonder what the coverage would look like? Would be convenient to already have the cord pointed at the back of the tank, especially as I hear the Finnex have short cords.

4. Pikez

Pikez Rotala Killer!
    Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    geektom likes this.
  5. geektom

geektom Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Those are impressive!

I wonder how far out the arm will go? Will it reach to the middle of my 30" depth?

6. Pikez

Pikez Rotala Killer!
    Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    I saw it over a 30 by 30 cube at the Aquatic Garderners convention a couple of months ago. It looked like it worked well. Check with them. The light is ideal for tanks that are 30" front to back. If your tank was just 2 feet front to back, there'd be a lot of light spill in the front and back. So there must be a way to make that work. Worst case, suspend it over the middle.

geektom likes this.
Tags: