This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Long Term Scapes - Trimming

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by Whiskey, May 24, 2011.

1. Whiskey

Whiskey Subscriber

Hello All!

I'd like to start a thread about keeping a older tank and older scape looking good.

What seems to happen in my tank, with Crypts for example, is that old leaves never really fall off, they just sortof lay down, and new ones come in and grow above them - eventually, after 6 months or so the plant even starts to shade itself, and it starts to get stupid tall just to give it's new leaves some light.

The simple solution here is to trim it of course,.. but how often do you guys trim off the older leaves like this?

How do you do it? Do you clip all the leaves off a plant like a Crypt? Or do you carefully nip off the older ones?

Do you think clipping off older growth encourages new growth?

What about Anubias? It seems to have the same problem for me, except it's really old shaded leaves will collect a bit of algae, which is really ugly, and it seems that unless I clip off some leaves it will get to a point where it doesn't sprout any new leaves in the middle, it just keeps growing outward.

Do you have a schedule for trimming a plant like anubias? How do you do it?

Thanks!
    Whiskey

2. fablau

fablau rotalabutterfly.com
    Staff Member Moderator

Hi Whiskey,
    I have a 3 years old planted tank and I am facing similar issues.

I have your exact problem with Anubias, I just trim the parts that extend too much and eventually replant the cut part as a new plant, as needed, I do not have a particular schedule.

As for the old leaves that get algae, I just remove them to leave space for the new ones.

I hope this helps.

Best,
    Fab.

3. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Slower growing plants: many are reluctant to trim them.
    They will easily grow back.

Crypts particularly.

Anubias as well.

4. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Hi,

You want to trim the crypts when the leaves start to fall over if they look unattractive to you. I clean my crypts out every 3-4 weeks but pinch off all older or damaged leaves. I do the same with anubias.

No need to clip all leaves unless they are damaged beyond recovery..

This does induce new growth which is a good thing IME/IMO.

5. Crispino Ramos

Crispino Ramos Guru Class Expert

Just give it a few minutes of daily grooming so it doesn't overwhelm you. :)

6. Whiskey

Whiskey Subscriber

You guys gave me the courage I needed!

I trimmed the leaves off my Anubias - layer by layer - once I got into it I was truly shocked by how many there were! I must have trimmed off at least 50, and this is not even a very big plant, in the end it's still pretty bushy. I always wondered how these aqua-scape winning tanks had Anubias with no GSA, I always assumed they knew something about keeping an algae free tank that I didn't - maybe I just never clipped my Anubias and they did.

I also thinned out the Crypts a bit, I'm curious to see what this does for growth. I definitely agree that promoting new growth is a good thing, and if this really does it I'll make trimming these plants back a regular thing.

Thanks!
    Whiskey