This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Unfortunately for Photobucket users, things have changed in a big way as of June 26th they are rolling out a $399 per year subscription fee for those who want to hotlink images from Photobucket’s servers to display elsewhere.
    This does not mean it only affects this site, It now means that billions of images across the Web now display an error message instead of the image in question. :(
    https://barrreport.com/threads/attention-photobucket-users.14377/
    Dismiss Notice

Lo light/lo CO2?????

Discussion in 'Advanced Strategies and Fertilization' started by stcyrwm@adelphia.net, May 31, 2005.

1. stcyrwm@adelphia.net

stcyrwm@adelphia.net Prolific Poster

I'm winning the algae battle but losing the diy co2 battle. It is too nerve wracking to shoot for 30 ppm co2 with diy co2. The funny part is that I thought the problem would be getting enough co2, instead I'm constantly having to monitor the tanks to make sure I'm not overdosing and killing the fish. I've twice had them all at the surface gasping for air.
    Anyway I'm not ready to invest in pressurized yet and I read Tom's non co2 article with great interest. I'm going to cut back my lighting to the 1.5 to 2 wpg range and I understand the fertilizer strategy.
    My question has to do with Tom's closing comment about using Excel to supply some carbon to the plants. First question is whether there is a cheaper source of carbon? Second question is whether a low level of diy co2 say 5 to 15 ppm would have the same effect? Or does that open the door to algae growth again especially with the fluctuations diy co2 gives. I guess I was wondering if an inefficient system like a ceramic air stone might add a little co2 without the anxiety of killing the fish. I would enjoy doing the diy co2 if I could come up with a system that didn't need constant monitoring and didn't make me a nervous wreck.

Thanks for all the help,
    Bill

2. Greg Watson

Greg Watson Administrator
    Staff Member Administrator

Re: Lo light/lo CO2?????

I kind of doubt there is much experience out here with having too much DIY CO2 ...

DIY CO2 is for most the cheapest source of Carbon ... so in answer to your first question ... you have the best source from a cost perspective ...

I suspect that if you go into a greater description of your CO2 setup, that those of us that have done the 2 litre bottle CO2 route before, will probably see something that might be able to be tweaked to give you the more stable supply of CO2 to alleviate the nervous wreck problem ...

I'm usually the one that is trying to get people to move to a third bottle of DIY CO2 in order to stabilize the CO2 levels over time without the peaks and valleys that a single bottle or two bottle system usually experience ...

There may be a way for you to change your yeast/sugar receipe to slow the rate of your CO2 being created ...

Several ideas come to mind ... but without a little more detail, your (relatively unique to me) problem is tougher to answer than the typical add more CO2 problem ...

Thanks,
    Greg

3. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator Social Group Admin

Re: Lo light/lo CO2?????

Try the DIY CO2 reactor to go with the DIY yeast.
    That will improve things greatly for you!

Add some surface movement, not a lot, but some.

Add CO2 brew in two sets of bottles each charged every other week.

This will balance the rates out better.

Regards,
    Tom Barr