Liquid Fill In Bubble Counter?

Fishgovno

Junior Poster
Nov 2, 2006
Winterpig,Manitoba/Canada
I was informed that insted of using water in the bubble counter(due to quick evap)
I can safely use liquid glycerine with no harm to equipment/flora or fauna.
Has anyone tried this or recomend it?
Thank you.

Sintei

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 8, 2006
Quick evap? I wonder what kind of bubble counter youre using. Whatever youre using, just remember that CO2 is an aggresive gas.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
It can be messy, and it's pretty visicous also, high flow rates really do not work well.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Fishgovno

Junior Poster
Nov 2, 2006
:eek:
Ok but does or would it work seeing it is hevier than water?
I am using a aquariumplants.com best -regulator with a similar too JBJ bubble counter.
While I'm on the topic of Co2 what kind and or where can I find Co2 airline(tubbing)?

My Co2 head pressure is set @ 6 PSI and I am using aquariumplants.com powerd reactor.
My KH is between 6.5-7 G deg. (sierra test kit)
My Ph at end of day is 6.7
Ph at start of day 7.2
I can not count the bubbles per minute moving way to fast for me to count

VaughnH

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005
Sacramento, CA
The first thing that needs to be done after setting up a pressurized CO2 system is to leak check it. The amount of CO2 we use in an aquarium is barely more than a slight leak, so any leakage at all will deplete the CO2 supply rapidly, and it can make you think you are putting a lot of CO2 into the water, when it is really going into the atmosphere. (Greenhouse gas?) Use a soap solution such as kids bubble blowing solution to find leaks. Apply it generously, so it drips, then wait a few minutes and look for tiny masses of bubbles, indicating leaks. When I had problems with fast "evaporation" of bubble counter water I found it was actually a tiny leak at the base of the bubble counter, which leaked the water out.

Professor Myers

Guru Class Expert
Aug 24, 2006
IMHO...More trouble than it's worth...

As Vaughn already suggested do a leak test, and fix the leaks. This will count for alot more than piddling with Glycerine, and it's only messy the first time, and considerably easier to clean up. You'll find that once the system balances correctly you'll have a lot of extra time on your hands to fritter away, and obsess little details like Water Changes, Pruning, and refilling that bloody bubble counter ! ;) LOL. HTH Prof M

dschmeh

Prolific Poster
i have the same problem im almost positive i have no leaks will the water evaporate naturally or is the only cause a small leak . I have to fill the bubble counter once a month . 20lb tank over a year old needle hasent moved yet and i gave it a soap test. ?
Dave

Fishgovno

Junior Poster
Nov 2, 2006
Funny thing is I did check it for leaks originaly but I must have one cause I have gone through 1-10Lb tank and 1-15Lb tank on my planted 360G tank in roughly 2 months:eek:
I just noticed the second tank is just about empty???(today)
The first one went very quick so I did check for leaks(regulator to tank gasket leaking) fixed that and now the second tank is empty...hmmm
I'll have to re check tomorrow with a new tank of Co2 (crap)

Sometimes me thinks to much about other things in my tank and does not pay attention to the obvious.
Thank you!