This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Unfortunately for Photobucket users, things have changed in a big way as of June 26th they are rolling out a $399 per year subscription fee for those who want to hotlink images from Photobucket’s servers to display elsewhere.
    This does not mean it only affects this site, It now means that billions of images across the Web now display an error message instead of the image in question. :(
    https://barrreport.com/threads/attention-photobucket-users.14377/
    Dismiss Notice

Limewood airstone questions

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by Bill, Mar 3, 2006.

1. Bill

Bill Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

I picked up a couple of limewood airstones at a LFS today because I am going to run CO2 mist along with my reactor.

I am going to order some more online but I had a few questions about the airstones before I place an order.

1. The limewood airstones I bought said to replace them every 3 or 4 weeks, is this the lifespan that I should expect from them?

2. I saw the Coralife brand and a Lee's brand, is one brand any better than another?

3. What type of maintenance should be performed on them?

Thanks,
    Bill

2. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator Social Group Admin

Re: Limewood airstone questions

I get much more than 3 weeks out of them, more like several months before I sand them.

You let them dry out and sand the cut edges good with some sandpaper.
    I use plant tie weights to keep them down and rigid tubing, you can be creative there and put them under rocks etc.

Limewood is limewood, brands mean nothing.
    Coralife makes the stubby 1.25" version, that's the smallest.
    As more use these, I think we will see smaller stones on the market.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

3. Bill

Bill Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Re: Limewood airstone questions

>>>Coralife makes the stubby 1.25" version, that's the smallest.
    As more use these, I think we will see smaller stones on the market.