This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Limewater and phytoplankton

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by SantaMonica, Oct 19, 2008.

1. SantaMonica

SantaMonica Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    4:58 PM
    I'm looking into combining two operations on my marine reef: Limewater (kalk) FW top-off, and non-live phyto/rotifer feeding to the corals. Does anyone know if putting this food into 12+ pH of limewater will damage it?

2. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    Since it is dead, that's a non issue, however, some nutrients may be leached out due to the high pH of the Kalk water. Some proteins, vitamins and surly the chelated traces etc will be unchelated at those pH's.

I'd keep them separate in solution/reservoir and use a single pump line/pump from there. Once well diluted in the tank, sump etc, this will not play much role.

A similar issue exist with PO4 and Fe dosing in FW systems, in the PO4 likes to precipitate out as FePO4 at high concentrations in bottles reservoir etc. But it's fine in the tank.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

3. SantaMonica

SantaMonica Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    By "single pump/line", do you mean have the pump draw from two resivoirs, combining them into one line which then goes to the tank?

4. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    Yep, should not cause too much issue even at high levels of concentration as long as it's not that long of time frame. At worst, it would greatly minimize it.

Drip for the ferts, phyto and dosing pump for the Kalk would be a better method and not cost much $ also.

But I think a nice flushing or Food all at once in small pulses higher concentration) is better than continuous at low levels. For Kalk etc, you can go either way.

Regards,
    Tom Barr