This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Unfortunately for Photobucket users, things have changed in a big way as of June 26th they are rolling out a $399 per year subscription fee for those who want to hotlink images from Photobucket’s servers to display elsewhere.
    This does not mean it only affects this site, It now means that billions of images across the Web now display an error message instead of the image in question. :(
    https://barrreport.com/threads/attention-photobucket-users.14377/
    Dismiss Notice

Lighting

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by travdawg, Feb 4, 2005.

1. travdawg

travdawg Guru Class Expert

Let me start this thread with the question.... If I want to grow just about any FW plant, will around 3 WPG be enough to do that in?

2. m lemay

m lemay Prolific Poster

Re: Lighting

Yes. :)

Marcel

3. travdawg

A yes is what I expected! hehe Thanks!

Now, I have been told that the lights & reflectors sold by AH supply are superior in quality. So, I due to their low price, I have decided to go with them for my lights. Am I going to be far over the mark with 220 watts? Could I do with less, & still get good plant growth?

I would REALLY REALLY like some detailed responses on this one!

4. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator Social Group Admin

More light is not "better". It tends to be more difficult to mange for new folks since things occur faster.

220w over what sized tank?

Regards,
    Tom Barr

5. travdawg

I'm sorry, I thought I had that in my 1st thread. The tank will be 75 gallons.

6. tnnlynch

tnnlynch Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

I would recommend the AH supply kits to anyone. They are very nice kits with all hardware included and some very bright reflectors.

Tom L

7. Ian H

Ian H Guru Class Expert

I'm seriously thinking of contacting the AH suppliers to order a dual 55 watt kit. It looks better and cheaper than in the UK. I'm a bit confused with the tube offer as to which is the best for plants. Also shipping the bulbs could be hazardous.

Has anyone in the UK bought these and are there any compatible tubes available in the UK?

Ian

8. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator Social Group Admin

Due to European electrical differences, I'm not sure.
    Reflectors will work and are specific to PC bulbs, you can always order the bulbs there and get the ballast and reflectors here. Make sure you get them for UK electrical codes.

Good reflectors are no brainers= cost a bit more but after utility cost and bulb cost they dramatically help.

220 w on a 75, you can see the gar tank, that's what it had on it.

I can grow anything I want at that light level.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

9. Ian H

Ian H Guru Class Expert

AH Supply do a European kit with suitable voltages etc. for the UK market.

The kits they do are PC, are T5's better In terms of light output and lifespan?

Ian

10. travdawg

Well, thats great. I wanted the option available to grow some plants with color, & the beautiful thick carpet plants I see in all of these pics. But I didnt want to overdo it.

Thanks for the help!

11. chubasco

chubasco Guru Class Expert

I'm told they are about the same. A T5 is basically a straightened-out PC (or cf, for compact fluorescent) as they are the same diameter. They would have the same intensity if the T5 has the same quality of reflector as Kim at AH Supply sells (German made Miro4 reflector.) Lifespan is 10,000 hours on most PCs, not sure about the T5s. Kelvin options might be more limited with the
    T5s.

Bill

12. Ian H

Ian H Guru Class Expert

I'm going to do some more research, but the AH kits are looking good to me.

Ian

13. travdawg

Just wanted to add that I have spoken with the guy from AHS, & he is very, very helpful. His name is Kim, or Ken... cant recall, but he has helped me out alot, answering question, etc. Shoot him an email!