This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Lighting + Tank Choices

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by archangelvk, Apr 7, 2018.

1. archangelvk

archangelvk Junior Poster

Local Time:
    3:21 AM
    Hello community,

I currently own two LED lights. The Finnex Planted 24/7 and the Current Satellite LED+ (NOT THE PRO). Im deciding whether to go for a 33G long or a 40G long CO2 injected high tech tank. Both are 48" long 12" wide, the only difference being that the 33G has a height of 12" while the 40G has a Height of 16". So here is what Im wondering

33G long = 12" high - 2" aqua soil = 10" Finnex would have PAR of ~120 directly under the light, Current Satellite would have ~65 PAR directly under light

40G long = 16" high - 3" substrate = 13" Finnex would have PAR of ~90 directly under the light, Current Satellite would have ~34-35 PAR directly under light

These Values were taken from their websites or charts made from their company I found online.

My question is

Knowing that PAR gets WEAKER as it spreads, but also knowing that adding CO2 will LOWER the required light which plants need to successfully grow, which tank should I be getting if I wanted to grow some type of carpeting grass, along with some rooted plants for example Ludwigia sp. Red. Im NOT going to grow anything crazy difficult as I dont have that much time to micro manage the picky plants. My goal here is to MINIMIZE the chances of me getting algae or any sort so I dont want my lights to be super high or super low.

Thanks in advance

2. Uslanja

Uslanja Subscriber

Local Time:
    3:21 AM
    Hi archangel! I am certainly no expert on lighting but I would go with the 40 gallon. The obvious benefit of increased water volume is something I would give thought to and I believe the 90 par is more than adequate to grow anything you wish.

Tags: