This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Unfortunately for Photobucket users, things have changed in a big way as of June 26th they are rolling out a $399 per year subscription fee for those who want to hotlink images from Photobucket’s servers to display elsewhere.
    This does not mean it only affects this site, It now means that billions of images across the Web now display an error message instead of the image in question. :(
    https://barrreport.com/threads/attention-photobucket-users.14377/
    Dismiss Notice

Lighting suggestion for a 29 gallon

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by chubasco, Oct 4, 2005.

1. chubasco

chubasco Guru Class Expert

Hi Gang,
    A friend of mine found a 29 gallon tank (30x12x18hi, roughly) for real cheap and
    I'm pondering how best to light this tank. It's too short in length for a 96w and
    maybe a single 55w cf might not be enough. I plan on using CO2 with this one,
    too. Any ideas? :confused:

Bill

2. Milan

Milan Prolific Poster

Re: Lighting suggestion for a 29 gallon

I have the same tank. I have a Coralife Freshwater 65W/24" from a LFS. It works wonders. It was $99 canadian. You can certainly find some retrofits cheaper, but I find it's not worth the effort. You may try E-bay ...

3. chubasco

chubasco Guru Class Expert

Thanks, Milan, I'll check around. From Calgary, huh? Beautiful place! Hometown
    is Sandpoint, Idaho. It's been 8 years since I've visited Calgary, probably
    changed a lot.

Thanks for the info,

Bill

4. btemchine

btemchine Junior Poster

Hey there. I got a 2x96 for pretty cheap so i just threw it on topof the 29 and only use one of the lights. It looks fine, and when i get a 55 gallon, I am all set.

Ben

5. VaughnH

VaughnH Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

I use two 55 watt AHS lights on my 29 gallon tank. Looks great, the plants grow fast enough that I almost always have something to do. Blyxa Japonica has golden colors that were absent with only 51 watts of light.