This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Lighting Recommendations for 4ft. 70 gallon.

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by kevinmichael77, Oct 21, 2015.

1. kevinmichael77

kevinmichael77 Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    10:19 AM

I'm looking to stay away from led's at the moment.

2. kevinmichael77

Local Time:
    Think I'm gonna purchase a fixture this week from 1000bulbs. Would the 4ft ho or vho be the better option?

3. UDGags

UDGags Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    You want HO

4. kevinmichael77

Local Time:
    Perfect!!

Now I gotta start thinking filter. Part of me wants to just go canister and another part wants to go sump. The only problem I have with my sump on the 33 is 1. It's loud and 2. I get so much evaporation from under the cabinet. It's a proflex sump so there's no real way to seal it and I probably lose a ton of co2. I'd love one of custom aquariums seemless sumps but they are way too expensive for my taste.

The only issue with a canister is how I would run the Co2. I've had inline diffusers and they still have off tons of bubble. I could just do a simple in tank diffuser underneath my mp-10 and keep it simple but I don't know how well those work.

If I did go canister what is a good option for over filtration?

If I went sump is there a sump that's easy to seal and keep quiet?

5. UDGags

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    I don't have a canister although I did buy one and never used it....still sitting new in the box under my tank.

I use a Proflex Model 4 as well. I'm assuming the noise is from the overflow? The sump itself is pretty quite as long as the return pump isn't sucking air in my experience. To get a quiet overflow go beanie or herbie. I run herbie and it's quiet as long as I keep the water level constant/up.

As far as degassing, I don't do any special to cover the sump. My closed loop CO2 outputs to the return input foam but other than that I don't worry about the degassing.

6. kevinmichael77

Local Time:
    Is there a thread that explains the whole closed loop system? I never quite understood it. I need to see things most time to get it. Right now I have my co2 running to a needle wheel pump which is simply pointed towards the return pump in the sump. I get the fizz look in my tank but not sure how else to do it. Been thinking of trying one of those ista max diffusers.

7. UDGags

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Check this out for my sump pictures. The needle wheel feeds into the water filter, which gives time for the CO2 to dissolve into the water better.

So in terms of closed loop, it's keeping the water volume constant in the sump. If I had it directly feeding back into the tank I would need like 3 valves with a PID controllers to keep the water level constant since the flow changes based on various factors. Doable but not really practical.

8. UDGags

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Also if you go to the article forum Gerry has some nice videos on his sump setup that show and explain everything pretty well.