Lighting Question(s).

DutchMuch

Junior Poster
Mar 8, 2017
Arkansas
Ok so im getting the light today/tonight for my Dutch, and this is the "description"
2 3/8”H x 18.5"W x 46.25"L
  • Includes 10' grounded power cord
  • Includes 6 6400K T5 Tubes
  • Up to 30,000 Lumens
  • Powder coated, textured steel housing
  • High performance faceted specular aluminum for better light distribution
  • Hangs 2 ways—overhead & vertical
  • Daisy chainable

I have been looking into this specific light for a long while, many say its great, even many people on here say the actual PAR at the substrate will be way more than actually needed. Which is what I want...
My question is when I receive it it says it comes with 6 6400K T5 Tubes (meaning bulbs right? actual lights I presume..?) Which is just white light. Like @Burr's tank for example, he has a couple different colored lights, I looked at lowes and they didn't sell colored lights that I saw? and my Step father told me you need to use a sleeve, but then I thought wouldn't that contain moisture and lower the actual light give off? Do they not just sell colored tubes in order to broaden the light spectrum and give off specific colors?

Im new to T5's and this will be my first one.

Any help will be GREATLY appreciated.

bshenanagins

Junior Poster
Mar 3, 2017
No there are bulbs that give off the pink/red spectrum, a sleeve does nothing but lower your light intensity and filters out the colors you don't want to see. I'm sure someone who knows the brand/bulb your looking for will chime in. Most likely not available locally and need to be ordered if your lfs don't sell them.

DutchMuch

Junior Poster
Mar 8, 2017
Arkansas
No there are bulbs that give off the pink/red spectrum, a sleeve does nothing but lower your light intensity and filters out the colors you don't want to see. I'm sure someone who knows the brand/bulb your looking for will chime in. Most likely not available locally and need to be ordered if your lfs don't sell them.
Alright, well thanks though! I'm doing more research as I wait.

DutchMuch

Junior Poster
Mar 8, 2017
Arkansas
@AquaK thanks for the website!
Now as I said it comes with the bulbs... So should I replace 2 on each sides? (on the outsides, its a six bulb) with those bulbs (different ones I pick obviously)

AquaK

Jul 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
I would just keep the original bulbs for backups (or sell them) and go with all new Giesmann in your fixture. The two bulbs I mentioned should cover the entire plant spectrum and daylight colors, as well. You could always add a marine blue, purple and/or red bulbs to the lineup, but I don't see it as being necessary with those particular Giesmann. They really are top of the line.

Last edited:

bshenanagins

Junior Poster
Mar 3, 2017
I would just keep the original bulbs for backups (or sell them) and go with all new Giesmann in your fixture. The two bulbs I mentioned should cover the entire plant spectrum and daylight colors, as well. You could always add a marine blue, purple and/or red bulbs to the lineup, but I don't see it as being necessary with those Giesmann. They really are top of the line.
The more colored bulbs while providing some beneficial spectrum, are more for appearance. A red plants will display much better under a pinkish spectrum as opposed to just daylight spectrum. Plants will grow healthy regardless but visually the more colorful plants will be more visually appealing. It's pretty obvious when you see Tom's Dutch tank

Reactions: DutchMuch

AquaK

Jul 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
I don't doubt it. Being already heavy in the red spectrum, that Super Flora would work. Personally, I would go with 4 Super Flora, and 2 Tropic or sub out one of the SFs with a Super purple. The colors would explode.

slipfinger

Article Editor
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Article Editor
Jul 23, 2016
Burlington, Ontario, Canada
You are going to have to manage the light intensity or you'll be asking for trouble. I believe @burr740 has a similar fixture where all 6 bulbs are on one switch. Aside from light spectrum and colour, I believe he messes with his bulbs combinations to bring the par down. Six 6500k bulbs blazing would give the same results as looking at the solar eclipse today! Retina burn. I have 3 6500k bulbs, a couple of flora suns and a purple something and I'm getting 168par at sub. You'll be over 200+par at the sub with 6 6500k. I also only run six bulbs for 4 hours a day. And the other 4 with only 2 bulbs.

Reactions: burr740

burr740

Micros Spiller
Feb 16, 2015
Mine has 2 switches but I do run all six bulbs. it's incredibly handy being able to just turn two on if Im doing something in the middle of the night outside the photo period.

And yeah all 6500Ks is going to be way too much light, color rendition would suck too.

I like truLumen Floras and ZM Flora Suns for reddish types. Those 6500Ks that come with the fixture are perfectly fine, but you can spend 30 bucks a pop on Geishmans if you want. Personally I dont think they're worth the price difference.

You should get a 4 bulb unit instead of the 6, and you'll still need to raise it up like...a foot at least

Reactions: slipfinger