This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Lighting opinions on my 29 gallon (18" tall)

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Jarod, Apr 1, 2015.

1. Jarod

Jarod Junior Poster

Local Time:
    4:07 PM
    I figured one 30" planted plus would be sufficient but I have some areas that a second fixture would help illuminating and increasing my PAR. I noticed when I temporarily added a 48" inch current sattelight fixture over the tank that within 20 minutes the plants started pearling like mad. So I guess it would benefit for me to have a second 30 in fixture but I don't want to overdue it. Im debating just adding a stingray. I suppose i could add a second planted plus but I imagine that might even be to bright. Any opinions? What would you folks do?

EDIT for clarification. The 30" is a,finnex planted plus.

#1 Jarod, Apr 1, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2015
  2. burr740

burr740 Micros Spiller
    Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    10:07 AM
    It all depends on whether or not you have the CO2/nutrient levels/plant mass...to handle X amount of more light. Im not sure anyone can answer this question better than you. The stingray will add about 20-25 PAR at roughly 18" (2-3 inches of substrate, 2-3 inches from surface).

[​IMG]

So if you're just looking for more visibility, and a slight bump in overall lighting, that would possibly be a good option. If on the other hand you're looking to step up into a higher realm of overall light, you may want to consider something stronger.

Run the two sat+ plus fixtures for a week or two and see what happens is what I would do. Pull the second one off at the first sign of algae. If things go well then look for something with a little more punch than a Stingray. If it proves to be too much, then a stingray may be a perfect addition.

Im a big fan of stingrays fwiw, great color rendition compared to similar priced leds. They just arent very bright.

3. Jarod

Jarod Junior Poster

Local Time:
    4:07 PM
    Thanks for the reponse. Yeah, Im pretty sure I will get the stingray. I do have the co2 and nutrients to support higher light. Fyi, my 30 in fixture is a finnex planted+ and the 48 is the satelight. I have a strong feeling that the stingray will do just fine as a second fixture and also be visually appealing.