This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Lighting for shallow aquarium.

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by danielmeyer, Feb 20, 2012.

1. danielmeyer

danielmeyer Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    5:54 PM
    Changes at home necessitate the relocation of my 60g setup. Despite four redesign attempts, the tank has never resembled the image held in my mind's eye; a source of personal frustration.
    I find myself enjoying the aquarium much more when 60% of the water has been removed during maintenance. Perhaps instead of moving and re-scaping the 60, it should be replaced.

As a replacement, I'm considering a 48" wide, 20" deep and either 10", or 12" high custom built aquarium.

I have the following available:
    - 36" 2 x T5 'AquaticLife' unit, on the 60 right now.
    - 48" Geissman 4 x T5 39W ( 230 Series? ) fixture, recently rescued on garbage day.

The Geissman is both physically, and visually, heavy.
    The AquaticLife unit is much smaller and lighter, however I am not certain of the quality.
    Aesthetically, the Giessman is a nicer fixture. Either unit is to be suspended from the ceiling.
    The stand will be 38" - 40" high. Pressurized CO2 be used on the new tank.
    The new tank would have a combination of immersed and emergent growth.

I have not yet settled on a schedule of plants.

Given how shallow the aquarium will be, which is the more appropriate choice?

Thanks!
    Daniel

2. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Hi,

If you can use the 48" fixture you will get better end to end spread....Can you remove any of the bulbs and run less than the 4?

The 36" will work, but the tank ends may be darker than you may like...You need to scape accordingly....

The selection of plant species has a lot to do with your question....

Many plants need less light than thought, and is many times a lack of good c02...

More detail please. Substrate, goals, etc. These are important and I do not ask just to waste your time...

Light is a complex subject and should be discussed with as much info as possible...

3. danielmeyer

danielmeyer Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Gerry,

I am fascinated by the 'Tributary' aqua-scape by James Findley.

The aquarium pictured is 48" x 12" x 8". I think I'd like more depth and a little more height. I need to move the aquarium to make space for furniture I've inherited.
    The new location is 49" x 22" and will be visible to the room on its front and left sides. In its new location, the aquarium will be exposed to indirect, filtered sunlight.

I'd really like the new aquarium to be flush with the walls, therefore I will have the intake and return drilled into the bottom of the tank.

I have a modified Rio powerhead for CO2, I plan to move this to the new aquarium as well and obscure it behind some wood. I have some Loc-Line modular hose connected to the outflow.

The 48" fixture has four 36" T5 39W tubes, and two six inch plastic plates one either side.

I will give this a try and let you know. My neighbour had this fixture above his table saw, when the tubes died he put it out for garbage. The power cord and hanging hardware has been cutoff, so I need to replace them. I spent the morning removing all the MDF dust from inside and outside the fixture.

Given one end will be shallow, and the other will be dark and mysterious, I'm not too worried about the ends being darker.
    I have a bunch of different types of crypts and moss for the deep end.

A schedule of plants will be my next step.

Gerry, I appreciate your time and feedback! I will continue to compile details and update.