Lighting for new 180cm tank 39w (or) 80w (or) 70w ???

Gilles

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Aug 6, 2008
Netherlands
So i am building a new tank; 180cm wide, 70cm deep and 60cm high.

So far so good, but now i am in doubt about my lights. This is not so much a question on how much bulbs, since i am allready set i am going for 5 dimmable and switchable rows :p

The remaining question is this:
a) Go for 2x T5 HO 39w bulbs per row side by side (so 10 lamps in total)
Pro: is that i can light one side of the tank with more pars, or other colors
Con: need twice as much ballasts

b) Go for 1x T5 HO 80w bulb per row (so 5 lamps in total)
Pro: 80w will most likely penetrate deeper into the water then 39w?
Con: is limited to 1.5 meter in length, however i wonder if it will affect me since i can spread my lights.

c) Go for 1x T8 HO 70w bulb per row (5 lamps in total)
Pro: with 176cm it best matches my tank width
Pro: most efficient (10w less then the 80w version, while keeping thesame lumens)
Con: Not available in 6500K (from Philips at least)

As far as "C" is concerned; with T8 lights nowadays the decrease in lamp output and lamp life versus T5 is negligible (dutch site)..

Your thoughts are welcome :gw

dutchy

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Jul 6, 2009
The Netherlands
I'd go for the 39 Watts too, more uniform spread, but I would use just 4 rows with 4 ballasts, total of 8 lamps. Much cheaper and more than enough light.

I am also using that on my tank, which almost has the same dimensions, 180 x 60 x 65, and I am not even using reflectors.

So I think you can save yourself a lot of money by buying four double fixtures, each with one ballast and still have all the light you want, providing you will use good reflectors.

regards,
dutchy

Gilles

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Aug 6, 2008
Netherlands
Yeah you are right. The difference between 5 ballast which powers 2 lights versus 10 ballasts which power 10 lights is huge.