This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Lighting for large tanks

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by inkslinger, Jan 24, 2009.

1. inkslinger

inkslinger Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    12:19 AM
    Will I would like to know what others have for a setup?
    Right now I have a 110g tank 60x18x24 open top with a canopy. My set is 6 T5 HO's 54w's 3 Sun Lamp Supply ballasts . I mounted the lights an ballasts on a 1/4 inch plywood in my canopy and some day I would like to switch it to a 1/4 inch polycarbonate sheet to make the canopy lighter. I did painted the plywood with white paint and I staggered each pair end to end too light the ends of my tank and the intense lighting is in the middle when all the lights are on .
    Each pair are mark off as 1,2,3 So I have 1 & 3 on for 9hr's and 2 comes on an hour after and hour before 1&3 . I have 3 10k and 3 Starcoat GE 65k but would like to replace the Starcoats.
    Is there anyone running MH,VHO's or PC setup that would like to share there setup's with Pic's .
    I will post pic's soon.

2. tinkerman

tinkerman Subscriber

Local Time:
    I have a 125 gal tank with 4x 39 watt t5ho's and 2x 96 watt cf at the moment. I had a 4x 96 watt cf when I first set the tank up, 2 bulbs and half of each ballast no longer work I have had a 65 watt cf in the past also and died also these have been run no longer the 1 yr on any of the cf's I have had. I do not like them and don't want to every own another cf in my life. I like my t5ho's and will be adding 3 150 watt hqi's in the next mo. That is my opions.

3. JJP2

JJP2 Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    I have a 125 (72x18x23) and I use 4 80w T5HO. I have them staggered so they cover all but 4 inches at each end of the tank. I have them in a DIY canopy about 3-4 inches over the water. They are paired so 2 bulbs are always on. I run one pair from 10-4:00 and the other pair from 2:00 - 8. This gives me a 2 hr burst and plenty of light for everything.

John

4. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    72" Current Outer Orbit fixture with 3x150 w MH at 6500K. Mounted 14" above the surface on a 180 72x24x24 tank.

I get a decent spread at this height and only one end is darker due to the fixture mounted off center to use the wall studs..........That is the anubias, moss, bolbitus section lol

I am very happy with this fixture and the MH in general. Nice ripple effect. Fixture has built in fans and is very reliable and quiet.

I have posted recent pics...........