This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. Dismiss Notice
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Lighting for a Non CO2 Planted Aquarium

Discussion in 'Are you new to aquatic plants? Start here' started by Mark, May 11, 2010.

1. Mark

Mark Junior Poster

Local Time:
    5:22 PM
    1st off Thank you Tom for having this forum.

I'm in the process of setting up a 125 gal after searching the net i decided that i wanted to make it a planted tank so i started to do some reading on them. after 2 days of reading my brain is turning to mush and my wallet is getting thinner by the minute, than i stumbled on the Tom Barr Non CO2 Planted Aquarium with that be said i have a couple questions for you all if you would be so kind

tank size 72 long x 18" wide x 22" high

current lighting is 1 long strip with 2 36" t830 ( i assume the 30 = 30watts ) so that = 60watts total for the tank or .48 wpg did i figure that out right ? and if so is this enough to grow anything besides algae ?

I ordered some substrate before reading this forum 2 5gal pals of this stuff AquariumPlants.com's own: Freshwater Plant Substrate

TYPICAL CHEMICAL ANALYSIS
    component weight %
    volatile free basis
    SiO2....................................76.72
    Al2O3..................................11.28
    CaO......................................0.63
    MgO.....................................2.04
    Na2O....................................0.10
    K21O....................................1.26
    Fe2O2..................................6.51
    MnO.....................................0.01
    P2O5....................................0.11
    TiO2....................................0.52
    FeO....................................0.82
    Loss on Ignition.................2.20

and im thinking about starting off with these plants main reason i picked them is i read they are low light and easy to grow ?

Dwarf Hairgrass (Eleocharis acicularis)
    Java Fern mat (Microsorium pteropus)
    Anubias Nana (Anubias barteri v. ‘Nana’)
    Water Sprite (Ceratopteris thalictroides) Pot

i'm open to any suggestions and all the help i can get (i keep getting "the look" from the wife) beacuse of this project (she really didnt like the idea of me cutting a 6' hole in her new wall) so moneys spent cant be wasted money or she will make me buy plastic plants =(

Thanks in advance for the help

#1 Mark, May 11, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2010