This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Lighting for a large tank wpg?? (no co2)

Discussion in 'Are you new to aquatic plants? Start here' started by TankZen, Mar 22, 2011.

1. TankZen

TankZen Junior Poster

Local Time:
    5:46 AM
    Need help lighting my 180G....no Co2...EI dosing.

Initially I was thinking 3 (96w CF) 34in however this would give uneven lighting because two fixtures would stretch the entire tank and one would be behind in the middle. 1.6WPG

I'm wondering if I have 4x (96W coralife CF) will this be too much WPG for a no co2 tank. 2.13WPG

I have 4 coralife 34in fixtures that came with the tank. Tank dimensions 72x25x25.

Please help... I know too much light too little co2 can cause big problems.....:confused:

2. jhunt

jhunt Junior Poster

Local Time:
    WPG rule doesn't really work. Because of the height of your tank, even four 96W PC bulbs will probably still leave you in the low to low-medium light range. Two-36" two bulb T5HO fixtures or 4- 1 bulb 36" T5 fixtures suspended 4-6" over the top of the tank.

3. dutchy

dutchy Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    I'd just try with what you have now. Low light is exactly what you want with a non CO2 tank. If you get algae, the intensity is probably to high. Then reduce by raising the lights or by using less lights. No more than 8 hours duration.